Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

msgsrv32 error on boot; now can't get safe mode

• Please log in to reply

jthynne

jthynne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried loading broadband isp software a week ago; this errored at the end of installation saying ATMUI.DLL file was missing, please load Win 98 disk; couldn't find it although used to have it. A friend supplied some Windows 98 SE disks and I loaded one but then cancelled out of the installation as I was worried about a 98 vs. 98SE clash. Subsequently boot started failing, with msgsrv32 illegal operation error, no icons loading. Thought this might be either virus or a Windows file clash. Managed to get into safe mode once, ran my AVG virus checker which found 2 Trojan horses and removed them; hoped that was the problem so tried booting up again and same error persisted. Have now spent hours on my work laptop researching various routines to try to get round the msgsrv32 error but now find I can't even get into safe mode any more to try out any of the suggested solutions; tried all the recommended methods for getting into safe mode - F8, Ctrl key, etc. All I can do is push the reset button on the box itself, machine boots, scandisk runs because it wasn't shut down properly, same error results ... stuck in impossible loop. What on earth can I try next??? :tazz:

Thanks to ANYONE who can figure a way around this.

Jenni

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

jthynne

jthynne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for directing me to the guide; I had seen it already but my problem is now that I can't follow any of those instructions, as I can't even get into safe mode. Have now asked a colleague at work to see whether he can contrive to salvage the data and rebuild the OE ... Thanks again, will go through your suggested steps as soon as I have a box that works ...

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I will keep this topic open. When you need to, just post it in this thread.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 993 posts
  • MVP
Hi jthynne :tazz:
See if anything here might help you:
http://www.geocities...3/msgsrv32.html

When I couldn't get into safe mode on my 98se, I clicked on start/shutdown/ MS-DOS... and was able to fix problems from there.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
do you have the windowscd

jthynne

jthynne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks to everyone for their help - no I didn't have the Windows CD which was part of the problem ... In the meantime a colleague has completely trashed and rebuilt the pc, so the problem has been solved with the most drastic action short of the skip ... Thanks again, it's a wonderful place to go when you think you've tried everything!