Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connectivity issues with XP, WiFiUSB, and Linksys

• Please log in to reply

oracle_360

oracle_360

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all: First time member here. I've been looking for a reliable computer forum for a while now, and I think I've finally found one here. :tazz: But more pressing problems wait...

I have WindowsXP Pro Lite downloaded from Bittorrent. Everything works fine on it, all that's different is that a few superfluous MS features are deleted. I also have an X-Micro USB wifi adapter, a Linksys G series router, and a Linksys WiFi Range Expander (RE).

After I installed WinXP, I configured my network the usual way, and though my signal was patchy (I'm in a multi-story house, thus the RE), I was still getting it. For some reason though, now I can not connect to my linksys router. In the connections window, it'll show the Linksys connection (represented by a signal mast), but without the "blue halo" around it illustrating a broadcasting signal. I have to press "refresh" several times before it shows the halo, if it does at all. And when I do get it, and go back to the main network signal window, it shows the signal mast without the halo again.

It's not my router, because the other satellites in the house are working great. And my USB key is showing a signal of 50%, well above what's necessary to maintain a stable signal.

I have brought my mom's laptop to my room, with the same devices, OS (not lite though), and settings, and it works great. My friend has also brought his sister's laptop to my room, and it shows a very strong signal. So I really don't know what the deal is.

Should I get the service pack? Or get XP Pro regular? Or... well, I don't know, I'm so incredibly frustrated right now. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
First off, you shouldnt be pirating software never mind the fact that it is incredibly stupid to advertise that fact on a forum.

Secondly, I would imagine with things changed on that OS that some hardware is bound to not act right. I would recomend getting a regular copy of windows XP or look for drivers specific to work with XP Lite.

oracle_360

oracle_360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's a bit of an update:

I've thought of several more possible fixes, but to no avail (otherwise I wouldn't be posting here). I tried good old command prompt. When I entered ipconfig/all, it gave me this:

Host: rv0vgism98601wf : <--That's very odd :tazz:
Node: unknown
IP routing enabled: yes
WINS proxy enabled: no
Ethernet adapter: Windows Networking Computer 2
Media State: Disconnected [Aha!]
description: (my usb wifi card is described here)
physical address: 00-02-72-04-EC-7C

Then the ipconfig/release/renew commands gave me the message "No operating media disc detected". Also, when I tried to ping my static IP, it didn't respond. Any ideas?

cnmsales: I downloaded this OS to test it out before buying it. I wanted to check the consumer difference between Pro, Home, and 2000, without shelling out half a grand for them. And I'm hiding behind my IP, which, thanks to a Canadian ruling, cannot be forced to declare my real address. Besides, let he who is without sin cast the first...
As for the driver issues, there have been no reported problems with this version, and the drivers are all updated.