Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe System Error

• Please log in to reply

eks

eks

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have been searching for solutions to this problem for 3 days and hope you can help! <_< :D

The problem started just like another post on this forum with a "Registry File Failure Stop: c0000218 Cannot load the file stemroot\system32\config\software its log or alternate is corrupt, absent or not writable."

I followed the steps in MS KB307545 using Recovery Console, but c:\windows\repair\system file was not found. At that point, I was able to log into recovery console using a blank administrator password, but now I get the message "The password is not valid. Please retype the password."

Next, I attempted the repair option on the XP reinstallation disk. It appeared to cycle through the process, but then it states, "Setup is being restarted" and I get an error message as follows: lsass.exe-system error "When trying to update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct." I am not updating a password or even using a password; it just continutes to reboot and display this message.

Following a tip I found on a forum, I downloaded a password editor from http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/ to reset my administrator password. It indicated that my password was indeed blank, but recovery console still won't accept it.

I have also read that these lsass.exe errors can be do to Sasser worm. My Norton is up to date, so I doubt that, but I'm not sure how to check for it since I can't get past the XP screen. I can access a DOS prompt using the Dell recovery CD, but my DOS is really rusty.

Any advice would be most appreciated! :D

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's start with the easiest. Have you tried restarting the computer using "last known good configuration":
1. Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.
2. Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.
3. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
4. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Last Known Good Configuration menu item, and then press Enter.

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have already tried to go to back the last good configuration, along with attempting to boot in safe mode, which is not possible. I first knew I had a problem when the System Restore failed.

At this point, my objective is to try to recover the data on my drive, because I think I'll ultimately need to do a full reinstall of XP. I currently have a 2nd hard drive on my system and have thought about using that to load a clean copy of XP to boot the system and backup the data. I might have to use an old HD so I don't lose any data on my 2nd drive either. Do you think that might work? If so, what steps would I need to take to be successful? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Download memtest86, install it to a floppy, and start your system using this floppy to check your system memory. http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't think I have a problem with my system memory. How does this apply to my situation?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
lsass errors are often due to faulty memory.

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I completed the Memtest86 with no errors found.

I did come across a post on a Dell forum that might be applicable. (I have a Dell Dimension 4550.)
"The Dell Factory Loaded Windows XP Home Edition will have a factory default password in the Recovery Console that prevents access without a boot floppy diskette set."
Could this explain the problem I'm having with an "incorrect password" when none has been set? Unfortunately, when I attempt to boot my XP system with the floppy diskette set, I get the following message:

"File\biosinfo\inf could not be loaded. The error code is 4111. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to continue."
Any thoughts?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's a tough one. The reason MS KB307545 doesn't work is becasue Windows was OEM installed. Winternal's ERD Commander would allow you to probably restore an earlier configuration, or have access to a registry backup, however at $149 it's too expensive to be practical. Unless you know someone with access to this program, a visit to your local computer shop may be in order.

The other alternative is to do a parallel installation of XP on your other drive. This will likely provide access to your files (unless encrypted), and possibly allow you to recover the previous installation.

Finally, you could install Windows XP over your existing installation. This would retain all your existing data, but you'd have to reinstall all your software. Unfortunately, your Dell recovery CD won't allow installing only XP, you'll need to aquire a WindowsXP setup CD.

I'll reply if I can think of any other alternatives. <_<

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That's a tough one. The reason MS KB307545 doesn't work is becasue Windows was OEM installed. Winternal's ERD Commander would allow you to probably restore an earlier configuration, or have access to a registry backup, however at $149 it's too expensive to be practical. Unless you know someone with access to this program, a visit to your local computer shop may be in order.

The other alternative is to do a parallel installation of XP on your other drive. This will likely provide access to your files (unless encrypted), and possibly allow you to recover the previous installation.

Finally, you could install Windows XP over your existing installation. This would retain all your existing data, but you'd have to reinstall all your software. Unfortunately, your Dell recovery CD won't allow installing only XP, you'll need to aquire a WindowsXP setup CD.

I'll reply if I can think of any other alternatives. <_<

View Post

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So, I could install XP on my 2nd drive without overwriting any data files? That may be the easiest option. Any special advice about doing that?

I just wish I understood what is causing the biosinfo.inf problem, which is keeping my boot diskette from running.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I just wish I understood what is causing the biosinfo.inf problem

I don't have any experience with this, and couldn't find much info during a search. One MSKB article blamed it on Norton Antivirus, and advised uninstalling. <_<

Even if you successfully boot to the recovery console, you won't be able to restore the registry per MS KB307545 because you have an OEM installation.

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

So, I could install XP on my 2nd drive without overwriting any data files? That may be the easiest option. Any special advice about doing that?

You will not use any data installing XP on a separate drive (or partition). When done, try copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
to restore the previous installation.

eks

eks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It was not as easy a solution as I had hoped, but once I restored all my registry files from System Volume info, I could access my programs (and data) again. Unfortunately, I still have the display problem that started this mess, but I think I can fix it with a simple driver download.

I was so frustrated by Dell telling me it was the Sasser worm (which it wasn't) and all the misinformation out in the forums. Now I know Geekstogo is where to turn first. I'm already telling all my friends. Thanks for all your help! <_<

venusfire

venusfire

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I got the exact same problem as you did -- what is the finsal solution?
install xp on another drive???

Q
-----------

It was not as easy a solution as I had hoped, but once I restored all my registry files from System Volume info, I could access my programs (and data) again.  Unfortunately, I still have the display problem that started this mess, but I think I can fix it with a simple driver download.

I was so frustrated by Dell telling me it was the Sasser worm (which it wasn't) and all the misinformation out in the forums.  Now I know Geekstogo is where to turn first.  I'm already telling all my friends.  Thanks for all your help! <_<

View Post

vas2000

vas2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am seeing the same error message. We have an HP Pavillion Notebook and after I did a normal shutdown I started seeing the lsass.exe errors re the password return. HP sent me a new XP CD. The system now comes up using the CD but I am unsure how to proceed to fix it. I tried using the repair option on the install and same problem occurred. I am able to select the recovery console option and I do get a command prompt but I don't know what to do beyond that.

Thanks.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

I have seen a virus do this, as well. Please follow this post.

Pervious Post I Made Having to Do With a Similar Problem

B