Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security 2005 - Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Installation errors.

Trying to upgrade from Norton Internet Security 2004 to 2005. I have XP that came with SP2.

Have done as Symantec says and removed as many remnants of NIS 2004 from my system as I can. I then installed NIS 2005 but am getting Configuration Errors after installation and then Script errors when I try to use the Status and Settings Tabs of the Internet Security Part (clicking on the tabs causes script errors). I am however able to use the Antivirus portion (including clicking on tabs and updating my virus protection).

Two things Symantec tech suggested to do that I could not do :

1. I was not able to delete the Symantec folders in the Registry.

a. How can I successfully delete the Symantec folder in the Registry? Or, can I delete the items inside the Symantec Registry folders one by one and leave the folders there since I cannot delete them or will this cause worse problems?

2. I also was instructed to remove IE and reinstall which I do not know how to do.

b. Could IE be the problem and how do I uninstall and reinstall?

These are the only 2 things I can figure may be corrupting my installation.

Any answers or suggestions?

:tazz:
Zin

Edited by zinfandoll, 09 July 2005 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Bump...

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I experience the same problem before. Norton Systemworks is very hard to for user to upgrade to another version even after deleting everything connected to the old version. Personally i don't how, usually formating ur comp is surest but not probably good idea to do it.

Because of this, i dun use Norton anymore.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
use this tool from symantec to remove

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you.

Unfortunately, I have tried that several times and it will not remove all of Norton. The only Norton stuck on my system appears to be in the Registry Key and I cannot for the life of me get it to delete. I need help deleteing it from the registry because the removal tool does not work in my case.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
can you be specific on where its having issues?

hkey_local_machine\system\currentControlSet\Enum\root

right click on root and select permissions

highlight "everyone" and for "full control" make sure the box is checked for "allow"

this key is one that has caused problems with norton products in the past. It also shows you the process of how to reset permissions for any other troublesome keys.

any further help will require specific error messages

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Starjax,

Thank you, that did help. After I followed your instructions, I then went back to the registry key where I was having trouble and did Allow to my name in that key and was able to delete it.

However, when I do MSCONFIG (under Systems), I still see Symantec Core LC on the list but it says Stopped (as opposed to Running). Did I miss a file somewhere? Where is this hiding, do you know?

Thanks,
Zin

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
nope. just make sure the box is checked next to it and reboot. it should go away.

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I rebooted but still there.

I just did a search for files on my system again that contain the word Symantec. I found some files still in there. I'm afraid to delete before I know if its okay to do.

a bunch of files called Spuninst found in: C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB8858351\Spuninst etc.,

a bunch of Notepad items found in:
C:\Temp
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Temp

a bunch of Collected Data found in: C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\DataColl

Okay to delete these?

Also, do I need to return the hkey_local_machine\system\currentControlSet\Enum\root back to the settings that were initially in there? Or leave as is?

Edited by zinfandoll, 13 July 2005 - 12:36 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
leave the settings on the enum\root. they wont' hurt anything.

download cleanup! here
just install it and then run it. when done just reboot. also turn off system restore (right click on my computer, select properities. go to the system restore tab and click on the box for disable system restore).

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
now as to that service:

check whether the required Symantec services are started for Windows XP
On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
When the Services utility appears, locate and then right-click Symantec Event Manager, and click Properties.
If you do not see an entry for Symantec Event Manager, then skip to the section "Uninstall and reinstall Norton AntiVirus."
Locate the entry for Startup type:. Click the drop-down, and select Automatic if it has not already been selected.
Locate the Service status: entry. If it is set to Stopped, then click the Start button.
Click Apply, and then click OK. If this does not fix the problem, then continue on to the next section.
Repeat steps 2-5 for the following services:
Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service
Symantec Core LC
Symantec Settings Manager

regedit:
now go to hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services
look for any services for symantec still listed. highlight and then delete.

to make sure liveupdate has been uninstalled follow these instructions

manual uninstall of norton antivirus. I know it says for the corp. edition, but they share enough componets that it should be good enough to make sure all of it has been removed by the removal tool: maunaul uninstall