Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well I decided to give my computer a complete makeover begining with the mobo. I plan to get this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128285. I don't want to spend too much on a mobo because I am saving money for the 6800gt 256mb agp 8x. My current motherboard has only 3 pci slots and no agp or pcie. Its the default mobo that came with the (now $300) compaq. I have no question about the graphics card being compatible. I have more memory, and a 450 watt power supply. I do wonder if my Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz will be compatible. I just did a quick searh on google and they all say socket 478, Correct? Also my ram that I have now, its works on my junky mobo, will it work in this one? I am not quite sure on the details on what ram I have, I'll have to open it up and check to see, since I forgot. Now I know when you get a new mobo you have to reinstall windows. But do you just reinstall it or do you have to reformat the entire HD so I loose everything -_- ? I know most of these questions but just checking up. Appreciate the help guys. ^.^

Edited by Royal, 09 July 2005 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You rIntel Celeron will work on the new motherboard, and so far as the memory, I'd have to know what type it is, (Like PC2700/ PC3200 Etc.). Now, about re-installing windows. No, you shouldn't have to reformat you rentire computer, simply re-install the OS.

--Chris

kewlnsol

kewlnsol

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well I decided to give my computer a complete makeover begining with the mobo. I plan to get this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128285. I don't want to spend too much on a mobo because I am saving money for the 6800gt 256mb agp 8x. My current motherboard has only 3 pci slots and no agp or pcie. Its the default mobo that came with the (now $300) compaq. I have no question about the graphics card being compatible. I have more memory, and a 450 watt power supply. I do wonder if my Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz will be compatible. I just did a quick searh on google and they all say socket 478, Correct? Also my ram that I have now, its works on my junky mobo, will it work in this one? I am not quite sure on the details on what ram I have, I'll have to open it up and check to see, since I forgot. Now I know when you get a new mobo you have to reinstall windows. But do you just reinstall it or do you have to reformat the entire HD so I loose everything -_- ? I know most of these questions but just checking up. Appreciate the help guys. ^.^

View Post

first thing with your memory is to check the type of strip you have. It will either have two gaps in the section you plug into your board (older 133 sdram) or a single gap for the newer ddr. all newer boards need ddr for perfomance. Get Lavalys Everest home edition itll tell you every single detail of your whole pc from memory to prosc. temperature kewl.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It's usually a good idea to reformat and do a fresh install of windows when you upgrade your motherboard. You can be relatively assured that if you don't you will have some instability problems caused by conflicting drivers and registry entries etc. You will probably have to reactivate windows as well, so make sure you have access to your XP (if that is what you're using) CD and product key.

When you have completed the mobo installation and boot up for the first time, you will need to enter bios and change the boot sequence priority to CD ROM and whack your XP CD in there.

Some people have had success just doing a repair install (which means existing data will be preserved) of windows (note: this is NOT using recovery console); but in a mobo / cpu upgrade I did a couple of weeks ago, I had major problems until I did a clean install and format.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks, I know my ram is ddr just did not know if it was pc2700/3200. I may just buy a new HD and make my old one the slave. I really need a cpu update, I am well aware how horrible celeron is, and how much more expensive intel over amd is. Again, thanks for the help. Any question I am unsure of I come directly to Geeks To Go Forums.

Edited by Royal, 11 July 2005 - 09:40 AM.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I want to have 5 maybe 6 fans, can my motherboard support that many?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
nothing to do with the mobo.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Very constructive post...

If you have enough molex connectors and mounting points in your case you can add that many fans, or otherwise mod the case to allow it. Some will be able to connect to fan headers on the motherboard and be regulated by a fan eq if your motherboard supports one.

Edited by KGH, 12 July 2005 - 04:51 PM.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The case supports 4 Fans. Front, Side, and two in the back. Including the motherboard Heatsink fan, and a fan I wish to add on top of the AGP heatsink. Discluding the power supply fan I have/want 6 fans.

Edited by Royal, 13 July 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Some people have had success just doing a repair install (which means existing data will be preserved) of windows (note: this is NOT using recovery console); but in a mobo / cpu upgrade I did a couple of weeks ago, I had major problems until I did a clean install and format.

Yep I agree, I have tried it several times and each time I had some sot of glitch that finally forced me to format.

I want to have 5 maybe 6 fans, can my motherboard support that many?

Wow thats a lot of fans,shouldn't need more than 4 case fans

I don't like pluging anymore fans into the mobo then necessary (cpu fan a must) a better option is to plug them into a fan controller witch is powerd directly from the psu.

Rick