Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cs lag with xp

• Please log in to reply

honest1

honest1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just recently upgraded my windows 2000 to windows xp. And I played cs all the time with win 2000 with pings from 20-70 but now my pings in cs are on average 500 ever since I upgraded to xp. I have been using dsl for two years and now I dont know why it conflicts with my xp. I've shut down most of my processes while playing and that has not helped either.. I need help. :tazz:

Advertisements

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Alright, your ping has nothing to do with windows. Ping is all internet connection. check your dsl, maybe its on the frits. go to google.com and type in - bandwith test, and test waht your speed is. maybe your dsl modem is not set up for windows xp. call up your dsl provider, and talk to them about it. certain modems work for different operating systems.

Edited by hvc801, 09 July 2005 - 11:28 PM.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Having windows XP can effect your ping, but not that much. The networking in Xp is much greater than in win2000, but you would only notice a +/- ping of .01 or so (you wouldnt notice it)

You probably have spyware which is doing its stuff in the background.

honest1

honest1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no...I dont have any spyware...I just reformatted my whole computer because I just had way too many unused programs...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
*Please go http://www.howtotell.com ]here[/URL] (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
*Click on the "Validate Now" button.
*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
*Enter your product key then click "continue"
*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
*Copy what it says and paste it here.

I need this before we proceed to more indepth troubleshooting.

honest1

honest1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for running the Windows Validation Assistant. It appears that your Windows Product Key is valid.

This is a strong indicator that your operating system is genuine, however the Windows Validation Assistant cannot make a final determination.

The benefits of genuine Windows software include greater reliability, faster access to updates, and overall richer experiences. Users of genuine Windows are also eligible to receive special offers as part of the Windows Genuine Advantage program.

To verify that you received a genuine Certificate of Authenticity and software CD, compare your anti-piracy features in the next section.

why did I do this??? :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
why? because a lot of people have illegeal versions of windows and they want us to support them.

are you running service pack 2, installed all the critical updates?
using a firewall? what antivirus are you using?

honest1

honest1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yea...i've updated to sp2 and made all critical updates. Ive also updated both sound and video drivers. I am using AVG antivirus right now...norton aint for me... :tazz:

Edited by honest1, 12 July 2005 - 01:16 AM.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
First honest1, Welcome to GeeksToGo,

I believe the source of your problem may be a bad sector in your hard drive.

Try checking your HDD for errors using Start>Programs>Accessories>Scan Disk and select your C: drive. On the next reboot Windows will run a full scan of your hard drive for errors. This may take up to 3 Hours depending on the size of your HDD so be patient.

Also, consider running a Defragmentation. The XP install often leaves HDD's full of fragments, which take up space and can kill preformance.

I hope that this helps

Happy Fragging :tazz:

honest1

honest1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok.....that didnt work...i am still getting those high pings....Nothing seemed to affect it :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What does an illegal copy of windows have to do with his problem, and even if people use an illegagal copy it isnt likely to be the problem. Its no ones business except them and microsoft( which makes more than enough money from corporate sources that if most home users used illegal windows there profits wouldnt be significantly affected) as illegal copies run just the same and are updated just the same.

You might check your router settings it is often a problem and the reason for high pings, a change in your system can trigger a change in your oruter

Farten

Farten

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you done a traceroute to see where the ping spikes ? It may not be a problem with the pc or the router.
Open a command prompt and type ...
tracert 255.255.255.255
(replace the sequence of 255's with the ip address of the cs server you connect to)

Have you tried going back to the old OS and seeing if the ping goes back down ?
A pain, I know, but if you have only just upgraded it won't hurt too much, and at least then you can either confirm or eliminate the fact that the OS upgrade caused the problem.

honest1

honest1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
they all say request timed out....weird.

But, I have noticed that when I open steam quickly and open up the pub servers list, the pings are between 25-150 for a while..... then they all just jump all the way up to 500-2000. This really pisses me off. I think its gotta be the OS, but I cant see why an OS would affect connection speed.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
malware could affect this issue, so could having issues with your network (tracert will show this), update the firmware on your router as this could affect it as well. what are your system specs?