Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS not detecting SATA hard drive

• Please log in to reply

roccobladr

roccobladr

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
im building 2 computers for my friends brother and sister. both of them are basically the same specs. one is gonna have a 160gb hard drive and the other an 80gb. ive never built anything with SATA before and both of these are using it. so i have it hooked into the SATA0 slots on the motherboard (gigabyte v7000 RZ...something like that) and BIOS wont detect it. in the actual BIOS screen there isnt even a listing for SATA...just IDE. but when it starts up there is an option to press TAB for RAID something so i press it and it doesnt list any hard drives. it also didnt come with a floppy so i havent tried loading the drivers in windows start up (which also doesnt detect anything). any suggestions?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

When you first boot and get the F6 option, your need to press F6.. Then, you need to load the drivers for the SATA controller.. That should have come with your system either on a floppy or a cd..

Otherwise, go to the mobo manufacturers website and get them from there..

Until the SATA controller is recognized, Windows will never load!!

Murray

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i got the computer detecting the hard drive, but now when i try loading the floppy i get this: "file \RAID\winexp\viaraid.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\baseboot\setup\oemdisk.c."

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are trying to install the SATA drivers ONLY when the XP setup asks for them right??

Murray

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yea i just want the SATA drivers.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

yea i just want the SATA drivers.

View Post

Right.. but you aren't installing them or trying to install them until the Windows setup asks for them ??

Murray

benjy05

benjy05

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi could you let me know how you got your BIOS to detect the hard drive im still having problems exactly the same as this thanks

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
by getting some IDE hard drives lol. could never get it working so i sent the SATA ones back and got some good old trusty IDEs. sorry.

benjy05

benjy05

• Pip
  • 2 posts
lol thats the way to do it.

does anyone else have any ideas?

my BIOS is not detecting my 250gb western digital hard drive it was working fine until i upgraded my motherboard to an Asus P5GDC Deluxe it was all going fine intil i tested an IDE hard drive with it and disconnected my SATA drive ten i reconnected it and the BIOS couldnt see it. I presume its a configuration error but i cant see it.

Ive tried rebuilding my old pc to exactly the way it was and it still dint read its looking more and more like a hard disk problem. Ive also tried loading the SATA drivers in windows XP setup and its still not reading it.

any help would be appriciated its driving me crazy Thanks