Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geforce FX5900 Wont Boot!

• Please log in to reply

Sillysod

Sillysod

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, i have an Aopen FX5900. When i turn on the pc i see a flash and the card bios comes up for a couple of seconds and the screen goes blank! No MB bios is displayed and thats as far as it gets.

I have tried the card in my other (crappy duron) rig and still the same.

I have a 450 watt psu, and the crappy pc has a 350 watt.

The fan goes fast at first also and 'dims' down to a little buzz (Is this normal?)

If you can help i would be extremely greatful! :tazz:

P.s. When i plug the FX 5200 in, and no probs at all.

Thanks

Edited by Sillysod, 09 July 2005 - 05:03 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since the vid card doesn't work in two computers, the answer should be obvious. The video card is bad or it's bios is shot. The card probably has a lifetime warranty, so send it back to the vendor and have them repair/replace it.

makai

Sillysod

Sillysod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I bought the card second hand so i dont have warranty.

Could i fix the card by re-flashing it with a bios from the internet?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
unlikely....who'd you buy it second hand from?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and, in bios, is your motherboard set to run through the agp slot?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Call Aopen. Manufactures using Nvidia chipsets normally warrant for life of the "card", regardless of the owner. You might not even need a receipt. Call them and see what they say.

If they tell you they won't warrant the card, then last ditch effort is to flash the bios and see if that fixes it... by that time, you have nothing to lose!

makai

Sillysod

Sillysod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for your help. I bought it of eBay, and yes the motherboard is set to AGP.
I will also try and call Aopen and see what they say.

Will i need a PCI card to flash the bios as i cannot get far enough for the computer to boot from the floppy drive?

Thanks again!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry, I forgot you couldn't even post! You will not be able to flash the card. Your best bet is Aopen.

makai

Sillysod

Sillysod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ive contacted a couple of the ''End-user Service Centers'' (distributors) and they said they could not help me as i didn't buy the card from them!?! Even though it says:

''The AOpen distributors agree to provide warranty services and technical support for their customers. Please take advantage of this resource for the fastest resolution of your problem.
In case your reseller can not service you, please check our distributor list and choose one that is close to your location. AOpen's distributor is regional service center. Some of them are well-trained in technical repair and be able to repair your defective product''.

Even if the warranty is not valid or expired is still says;

''Please note that individual requests may delay RMA service, and there may be a fee for this service, depending on warranty status''.

And so i have contacted Aopen directly as it states here;

''Contact AOpen RMA service center only when you are not satisfied with the help you receive locally''.

So hopefully they will help me!

Thanks for all of your advice.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good luck. I hope Aopen will stand behind their product... or I will never buy from them!!!! LOL!!

makai

Sillysod

Sillysod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Cheers makai, i'll keep you informed.