Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop to Laptop Duplication

• Please log in to reply

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Scenario: Desktop (2.4ghz P-IV, 2-10krpm Raptor drives, 1gb RAM, and all my software, shortcuts, customizations, etc. In other words just how I want it in WinXP-Pro SR-1.) Then there's my laptop, a used SONY VAIO FX270 with WinME purchased on eBay. Removed the 20gb hard drive, installed an 80gb 5400rpm Hitachi and I want the laptop to be a duplicate of the desk top.

Took a huge gamble. I Ghosted the C partition of the desktop, and cloned it on to the laptop. Restarted the machine. Obviously it wouldn't start due to tons of hardware conflicts. So I applied the advice above, went into Repair Existing Window XP System, and 40 minutes later, my laptop is identical to my desktop without having to install a single piece of program software.

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles.

I have two more laptops to clone. Hallelujah for this recommendation! Thank you!!!

Advertisements