Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with ethernet card

• Please log in to reply

e&jemerson

e&jemerson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i am new at this guys so bear with me. i had a major problem with computer and had to format and start over. when i loaded a new xp disk i bought at a computer show i had a few files that could not be found. i have no sound now because i am missing the file i need to install my soundblaster card. also my computer sees my ethernet card but when i try to connect to the net it says something is not hooked up. could i have bought a bad disk at the show thats is the root of all this????????? please help but keep it in layman terms i am pretty green. :tazz:

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
First off we need to make sure your ethernet card reinstalled properly.

We can start off by going to your control panel and clicking on system icon. Now click on the hardware tab. Then click on the device manager button.

Once in device manager look down the list untill you find Network adapters and click the + sign beside it. If your NIC card is installed correctly you should see it listed here without a red X or yellow exclamation point beside it. If it has a red X right click on it and make sure it is enabled.

If it is enabled and has a red x or yellow! then it needs to be reinstalled.

If it is not listed here then scroll down a bit further and look for OTHER. If your NIC card is listed here you need to right click on it and select uninstall.
Once removed restart the computer. If windows has the drivers for this device you should get a prompt that it was found and it should install.

If it does not install then you need to get the correct drivers for it and then install it.

If it is shown in device manager as being installed correctly you need to go to Start>run> and type in command and hit enter. Once here type in ipconfig and then hit the enter key. If you get media state disconect swap ends on your ethernet cable, if you get this message again after doing this then you NIC card is most likely fried.

Please check this info out and if everything looks good or you have more questions please repost here.

Thanks.

e&jemerson

e&jemerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Went to the device manage and had 2 adapters shown. real tech rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet NIC, and sis 900 pci fast ethernet adapter, on the real tech adapter there is a yellow circle with an exclamation point. When I did the ipconfig I hit enter and the comand promp and went away.

Thanks,

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ok , first question then is do you have two ethernet ports on the back of your PC? Either way here is what I would advise.

Go create your self a system restore point and then remov both of these from device manager and restart the computer.

Also the reason that command prompt went away is because you typed that command in the rum prompt not the command prompt.

Let me know what happenes after reinstalling we will see were to go from here.

e&jemerson

e&jemerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you so much it worked and i am writing you back from the pc. thanks again for all your help :tazz:

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Not a problem at all my friend, im glad I was able to save you some money.