Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

error code 128 need help

• Please log in to reply

bendeals

bendeals

• Pip
  • 4 posts
operating xp, upon startup a runner error box pops up and displays c:\programfiles\backweb client\6.1.0.170\program\backweb.dll error code 126. I had recently ran adaware and spybot to remove problems- so i thought. now computer looks clean but cant remove this. any insight would be appreciated- thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
backweb is sometimes a trojan, but also sometimes it is part of a PC maker's support software.

You may have partially removed the latter.

You can probably remove the start up setting that is attempting to start this....a hijack log would be helpful

bendeals

bendeals

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
by eliminating items 1 at a time under msconfig, and then restarting, i was able to determine when i start the computer and do not start the hpcenter program, the run error did not pop up. do i have a problem with hp software maybe? can i delete somehow?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ah, HP, not a surprise. That is part of HPs support software.

You can remove it in add/remove in control panel

bendeals

bendeals

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anyway of knowing exactly what to delete when looking at the add/remove programs. i have a couple possibilities?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
backweb would be dead give away--support tool ,maybe?

List what you see

bendeals

bendeals

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
there was a program labled hpcenter, i clicked on that in program files and it showed me a lot of different items, several which were backweb or they started with the letters bw, i deleted the program and have rebooted several times...........no problem with error message 128 now, thanks alot!!!!