Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys

Just a quick question. I have lost my Windows Xp disc, I am getting a new one but live in a small town and am waiting for it to come into stock. If someone find and uses my disc will my windows stop working?

Thanks

Damkat13 :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

They won't even be able to install it as they don't have the Key Code for it..

Murray

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying. I think it was in my computer box when I chucked it out and as the activation sticker is not on my computer I think it may be with the disc.

Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The Key Code is not on the cd.. It is usually on the Certificate of Authentication..

So, if someone had both of those and installed XP, all they would need to do is call Microsoft and say they had upgraded or changed their system..

Their's would work and you would no longer be allowed updates and, in effect, would be using an illegal install..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 09 July 2005 - 09:28 PM.

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying. Will my system crash as I am just waiting for my new disc to come in I wont be using the Windows XP installed on my computer for much longer?

Thanks

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Nope, it will be just as stable as it used to be.

Emery

DAMKAT13

DAMKAT13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks so much for all your help your help I really do appreciate it. I will definatly be taking better care of my new disc.

Thanks