Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer/Hard Drive Crash?

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Information about the hard drive irrelevant. Not only is the bios not recognizing the hard drive, it is also NOT recognizing any other drive!

This appears to be a BIOS(motherboard), power form, or IDE cable failure.

Boot to bios and check your power forms (if the option exists). If the power forms look to be in spec... then you can "possibly" rule out the power supply as being the culprit. I use the word "possibly" because good monitored power does not necessarily mean the power forms are actually getting off the rails and feeding the peripherals.

Standard troubleshooting steps for this kind of failure is to remove all devices connected to the motherboard except one stick of ram (if there is more than one), the video card, the power supply, and your hard drive (with IDE cable connected). No other device should be connected to the motherboard.

If the machine still fails in the above configuration, then the next step is to swap out the above connected hardware, one by one, until all hardware has been "ruled out" as not being problematic. The ram must also be swapped to different ram slots to eliminate possible ram slot problems and, the IDE cable feeding the hard drive should also be swapped out.

If you complete the above steps, and the computer still fails, then you need to seek out a computer repair center and have them analyze your computer. Hopefully you can get lucky and find someone capable of doing this without being too expensive.

I'm going to guess that since your Dell was built in 2001, you don't have Dell support. Even so, you should contact Dell as sometimes they will help you sort things out. Whether or not they'll fix it for free is another question!

good luck,
makai

ps... I'm glad to see someone finally asked about bios beeps! :tazz:

Advertisements

LaurieH

LaurieH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
peterm

I went into setup but it doesn't let me change the secondary drive 0 to cd rom it only lets me change the drive type to auto and then it shows unknown device. I do hear one beep when it goes to the F1/F2 screen.

makai

I will try to replace the battery but after that I am in over my head, I guess I will have to try to find someone to take this to. Thanks for your help!!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Don't waste monet on a battery. when you go into setup
is the date and time current?if it is the battery works fine Does your setup allow you to set the drive manually

LaurieH

LaurieH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The date and time are fine. Setup does not allow me to set the drive manually, the only option is auto.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry I am out of ideas
If you get it fixed could you please post back and let us know so we may be able to help others later on.
Cheers
peterm