Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer freezes on printing

• Please log in to reply

bozzie

bozzie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have two computers and a notebook connected via a Netcomm NB3300 ADSL Router.

One PC is running on Win98, the other on XP Home and the Notebook is new and runs XP Pro.

Everything was running OK until I connected the Notebook and since then IE on the PC using XP Home keeps freezing & crashing whenever I try to print from within a web page (by choosing a printing button on the particular page) rather than using the print menu icon at the top of the page.

I don't get the screen to select the printer and amounts etc that would normally appear.

The printer is connected to this XP Home PC via LPT1.

I have no such problems with the Win98 PC. It is behaving as normal.

I do not have printing problems with any other program (EXCEL, Word etc)

I have also noticed today that when I try to move from one page to another linked page by choosing a button on the first page IE will freeze and crash.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
when it freeze does it come back if you leave it for few minutes? do you have SP2 installed?

bozzie

bozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No - it does not.

It takes a long time to do nothing - i.e no printing - and then suddenly when I click on any part of the screen the message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." appears.

I don't have SP2 because everytime I have tried to install it it has "stuffed" my machine and I have had to uninstall it. I have reported the matter to the machine manufacturer/vendor (Optima Computers) but neither they nor MS seem to have a clue as to why it is behaving in this manner.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
did you try repairing your Internet explorer?
http://www.microsoft...ie/default.mspx
but you will need to un-install it first and then re-install it.
It won't install if it recognises another installation of IE.

I use Firefox which you can download for free http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/ which might sort our your printing from the Internet problem.

Edited by samiko, 11 July 2005 - 02:50 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Might be that the printing has been set to above normal priority.

That is what the problem was with mine

bozzie

bozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
After following the usual fixes of running the system file checker and installing ie.inf (which I did shortly after posting the original help message) today I ran Spybot and found the following pest in the system

CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Madfinder

Spybot removed it and since then the problem seems to have vanished !!

I was about to follow your suggestion of re-loading IE but now I suppose I don't need to !!

I must explore the issue of Firefox when I get time in the next few days.

Many thanks guys for your help and for being there for me

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Totally welcome