Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i put my url on all the "big"search engions

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i just made a forum and i would like to get it on a couple of search engions

i already attempted to put it on google ,if it worked or not i don't know

can anyone guide me through this process

i don't want to pay and be a link up front

Please do not post a link to your forum, per board guidelines.

Thank you-
coachwife6

Edited by coachwife6, 10 July 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

bennydog

bennydog

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Google and other search engines uses crawlers this means that they scan through links on pages, the more links you have on good website the more chance you have of geting your url on search engines.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please do not put the link to your own forum in the topic after it has been edited out.

Edited by coachwife6, 10 July 2005 - 01:39 PM.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Alot of webhosting management tools like Cpanel have a special tool inside it to submit the link to places like Google.

Google also has a place on their website to submit a link for verification. You can go to this link to see it

But as google says, this is just to tell the crawlers that the link is there.

Edited by remintellegere, 10 July 2005 - 02:30 PM.

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i did not relize it had been taken out

sorry

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I apologize. I'm thoroughly confused now. If you had another link in therein addition to your own site, please readd it. :tazz:

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
no i only had my own site

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Again, I'm lost, but that's per the case with me. If you had your own site up there, it needed to follow these guidelines.

• The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of Geeks to Go. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.
• If linking to another tech site the resource must not be available on Geeks to Go through either the Support Forums or the rest of the site, and the link must be relevant to the members question.
• A simple text link to a personal site is okay, as long as it meets our normal family friendly, and safe surfing guidelines. You must own or be closely associated with the site. No banners, referral links, etc.
• The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

i just made a forum and i would like to get it on a couple of search engions

i already attempted to put it on google ,if it worked or not i don't know

can anyone guide me through this process

i don't want to pay and be a link up front

Please do not post a link to your forum, per board guidelines.

Thank you-
coachwife6

View Post

First yes, you can submit it to search engines so they are "aware" they can crawl it.

What google (and other search engines) look the most for, is not only website content, but how many site you link to, and even more, how many sites link to yours. Start by getting people to reccomened (or just link to) your forums from their site. Once you start doing this, you'll be suprised how much you move up in the search engines. Remember, the more well known* the site is that has your link on it, the more your site will move up.

*I'm trying to be less confusing by saying "well known." realisticly its how many sites link to the sites that are linking to the sites that are linking your site...haha..