Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2K explorer erros

• Please log in to reply

bayridge

bayridge

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't get rid of this. When I boot up, it goes to desktop and then gives me message - Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed....

I can't do anything else. If I just leave it, it keeps opening up tons of windows with program errors as title. I have tons of data there that I need to get at so I can't reinstall Windows and lose it. I treid replacing explorer.exe by removing it and expanding new one from Win2K CD but that doesn't help. I can get to Command prompt in Safe mode and view all my files. I saw someplace that it might be an IE6 problem so I removed IE6 that way but that didn't help.

Somebody please help me get my computer back. I am using another pc to get to Internet and email but I need my own pc. Thanks.

Advertisements

kelly2110

kelly2110

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Bayridge,
I answered you back on my thread, but maybe you wouldn't see it. Found you here so.. the message was...

I have solved my problem! With alot of help from another forum. Those guys are great!
here is the thread
http://forum.iamnota...1819087000.html

It's a long one, but if you are going through the same thing I did, it's worth the read.

Good Luck,
Kelly

bayridge

bayridge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Kelly. I don't get an error saying there's a virus, etc. My desktop comes up and then after a minute or so, it disappears and I get the dialog box saying explorer.exe has generated errors and will close... Then it will show desktop again and again it disappears and I get error and so on and so on. It just keeps looping like that making new windows with title of Program Error. I have to shut down or I will get thousands of new windows.

As I said, I deleted explorer.exe and now I get a blank desktop but at least I can start programs through Task Manager. I can't switch windows because I have no desktop so I have to use Alt-Tab to do that.

Does anyone know how to help me get my PC back without me reinstalling windows? Thanks.