Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Must-have programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here is a list of the programs I have installed on my computer. Since I've had them, I've rarely EVER had a problem with adware, spyware, viruses, etc.
I've provided links if you want to download them. Remember to update these programs regularly and run scan occasionally in order to keep your computer running goooood. Please post any comments or suggestions if you have them. Thanks!

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Microsoft Antispware Beta

AVG Antivirus Free Edition

Registry Mechanic

Ad-Aware SE Personal

Ewido Security Suite

HiJack This

Edited by seanshaffer23, 10 July 2005 - 09:49 AM.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Sean,

This is a good list of programs.

In fact we recommend that users install and use most of these programs ourselves.

However, there are programs like Hijack This, WinsockXPFix, Registry Mechanic etc, which if used wrongly can destabilize the system.

I havent used TuneXP but the advanced tweaks may again not be a good feature to be used by the relatively laymen users.