Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer...Windows Explorer...slow

• Please log in to reply

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Specs:
WinXP Pro w/sp2 and all current updates.
No unusual background tasks running as I always am checking this.
Indexing Service disabled among other resource hogs.
Fresh Install of WinXP

Problem:
My Computer...Windows Explorer...Control Panel and possible other MS drive searching apps have become incredibly slow scanning drives for files.
This only happens the first time I use them after a reboot...After that everything is normal. The Explorer Shell is fine..no slowness there...Internet Explorer is fine...no slowness there.

Other third party apps don't have problems scanning directories, which leads me to believe that explorer.exe or one of it's counterparts are the problem.
I've disabled searching for network files and printers but this didn't help.
I've check all hardware for possible errors and found none.
No disks are loaded in any removable drives...cd/dvd..etc.

The only possible clue I can give is that I installed this app called windvd and the problem seemed to occur after this. When I realized the problem I uninstalled this app and removed all registry entries dealing with this app.

The problem still exists.

I've had this before and repaired it but I can't remember how I repaired it. :tazz:

As I said before everything is fine after the first use of these apps but the first time I use them after a fresh boot there will be the flashlite animation taking somewhere between 1-2 minutes before I see the results.

Hope I've stated this clearly...
Any Ideas??? ;)

TIA

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
mmm - lets see now - you've disabled the indexing service which speeds up local file searches, and now Windows seems to take ages listing files in Explorer --- do you think the two may be connected?

flexoman

flexoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

mmm - lets see now - you've disabled the indexing service which speeds up local file searches, and now Windows seems to take ages listing files in Explorer --- do you think the two may be connected?

View Post

No..although one may tend to think this way.

I've owned several computers and one of the first things I do is disable Windows indexing service (It's a resource hog and pretty much useless anyway) and it never has caused a problem (disabling it).

Besides...Indexing service was disabled before this problem and I was searching drives just fine.

Thanx for the thought though.

Update!!

Problem fixed.

Disabled WIA..Windows Image Acquisition...per MS Faqs

Thank for the time..

Update 2!!

Figured I better clear things up a bit as not to confuse others about this service.

The service is used for imaging devices...scanners, cameras,...etc.
With it disabled you will not be able to use these devices.

A little more prodding on my part led me to the real culprit......
My HP All-In-One printer/scanner....
I reenabled WIA..

I think the HP was using wrong driver so I unplugged it....restarted
windows..everything fine....plugged it back in and windows asked me
which driver to use...I chose appropriate
driver and once again rebooted and everything back to normal.

Just letting others know for future reference if the need arises.

Edited by flexoman, 10 July 2005 - 02:49 PM.