Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2nd Hard Disk Missing (disappeared)

• Please log in to reply

arachnee

arachnee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi to All,

I had a virus on my computer that Norman could not erase. Therefore I formatted my hard disk C and installed Windows XP. Then I formated my disk D. But I had some problems with Windows XP (to install other programmes), therefore I formated C again and installed Windows 98 but Windows 98 did not recognise my disk D anymore. Stupidly I formatted C again and reinstalled Windows XP but the problem is still existing (no D). I made a scan disk under Performance and Maintenance/Administrative tools/Computer Management/Disk Management but no results. My hard disk D does not appear also under Disk Management. I tried to reconnect the cable several times to the computer but it did not help. Any idea? Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does the BIOS see the drive?

is the drive recognized by an alternate OS, for example, boot with a windows98 boot disk and type fdisk (don't initiate any command, just see if it will see it)

arachnee

arachnee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1. I think the BIOS does not see the drive. This is what I have in the BIOS (version AMIBIOS Simple Setup Utility version 1.21.06 ©2000 American Megatrends) under "Standard Cmos Setup":

Pri Master: User size 40020 MB and other infos
Pri Slave: Not installed
Sec Master: Not installed
Sec Slave: CD Rom

I think it means that the BIOS cannot see the drive...

2. It did boot with a windows98 boot disk and chose "Start computer without CD Rom support" then I got the message that "Windows 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT 32 partition". I typed fdisk and I was informed that my disk is larger than 512 MB. The next question was "Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)?" I stopped at that point.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is enough...if bios cannot see it, neither will windows.

It's a hardware issue of some sort....are they on the same ribbon cable? try moving the drive to a second cable off the second ide controller

arachnee

arachnee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help. I found the solution to the problem (finally).