Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Identify winxp

• Please log in to reply

edmundlg

edmundlg

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
Somehow we may have to reinstall winxp on a computer which the user don't know what version is installed and lost the serial also, how is it possible to identify what version is installed ? 1. Retail version 2. OEM version 3. Vol license version

As different version uses different product keys and different installation disk, we have to use the correct installation disk and understand first which version is installed.

Anybody got any ideas ?
Thank you very much.
Edmund

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The folks here reccomend Balarc Advisor to find information about your computer. The information includes your ProductKey, ProductID and software versions. If you go to Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Information you can also find a great deal of information.

You may find that this information is stored in the CMOS memory and you don't need to use it during the install. But better safe than......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES

Beneath the REGISTERED TO: you will see a product ID

For example, 55274-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

those first two numbers designate the windows version

OEM, is obviously, OEM

Different numbers designate different iterations (sp1, sp2, etc).

Also, you can download magic jelly bean keyfinder to find the users cd-key

edmundlg

edmundlg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the info, I will look into the balarc advisor and see what can I find, and secondly thank qerryf also and I understand how to look for the product key but the problem is how to find the information on what numbers represent what versions ?? I couldn't find this information from microsoft either, what is the number for retail version and what is the number for volume licensed version ?

Thanks !!
Edmund