Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad connection?

• Please log in to reply

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sometimes when I log in, my internet works fine. I can download files, surf the web, etc etc. But then other times when I log in, I have to repair my connection in order to get my internet working. Sometimes it gets really bad and not even repairing it works, I have to restart multiple times. Is there a way to fix this or possibly make it so my computer repairs the connection automatically when I log in? Please help!

*One more thing: I have to set it so my computer obtains the IP address and default gateway automatically, I think because I have a personal IP address. My IP address is one thing when I run ipconfig but outside sources see it differently. Just is case you needed to know...

Edited by seanshaffer23, 10 July 2005 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
First off we need to know what type of equipment your using. Do you have a modem and router or just modem? It sounds like you have a router which would describe why you get a different IP adress internally then outside. There are a number of things that could be causing you to frequently disconnect.

First thing, if you have a router you need to log into it and make sure the "KEEP ALIVE" is set.

I would also recomend going to device manager and making sure the power saving option is unchecked.

To do this go to control panel and then to the system icon. Click on the hardware tab and go to device manager. Click the + sign beside network adapters. Right click on your network card and select properties. Now click on the advanced tab and uncheck power saving options.

You may also want to run adaware and your antivirus scan to make sure your pc isnt infected.

Do these and respond back if this doesnt solve the problem.

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I've never had a problem with viruses or adware, etc. I logged into my router and the keep alive setting is active. the power saving option wasnt checked either.

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ok you previously said sometimes when you "LOG IN". What do you mean by log in? Do you mean opening up your browser?

You also stated you have to restart multiple times sometime, Just wondering, do you restart your computer only or when your doing this are you resetting all of your equipment? IE router modem and computer?

If you could, get the light status on your modem when this is down and lets see if it is indicating a problem.

I would also suggest maybe bypassing your router and see if the connection does this without the router.

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
When I say log in i mean log into my account as a user on the computer. The router shows no problem lights blinking. Just connecting lights that show information being sent in and out of my network. I only restart the computer by going to Start, Shut Down, Restart. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. If it matters at all, when I open IE, down at the bottom left corner where it tells you what action is taking place, it sometimes says "website found, waiting for reply" and other times it says "connecting to website"

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ok, i need the light status on your MODEM when your connection drops, not your router. I need to know the status ,colour, and labeling of each light on it. If all are on and solid green then thats fine.

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
they are all green and none are blinking

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
"I've never had a problem with viruses or adware, etc."

Ok you said you have never had a problem with this. What type of scanning tools do you have on your PC?

Even though you dont think you are being affected you need to have scanners for both items on your pc.

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have Ad-aware SE Plus, ZoneAlarm Pro, Spybot S&D, Microsoft Antispyware, CWShredder, HiJackThis, and AVG 7.0