Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

large hard drive (slave) interferes w/sound (WinXP

• Please log in to reply

Roxiedoo

Roxiedoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Running WinXP Pro. I've had the same setup for ~three years. 30 gig hd as C, 40 gig hd as slave, 20 gig hd as master on PCI card. File system is FAT32. I added a 250 gig hd which is FAT32. I've divided it up into two partitions (due to the 137 gig partition limitation) and have created primary or logical drives of under 31 gigs, due to that limitation, as well. The pci card is very old (had it on the prior computer) and only sees 137 gigs, SO...I've had to make the 250 gig hd a slave to the boot drive - C. I've now got everything set up so I can see all 250 gigs. (PLEASE don't give me grief about not converting to NTFS...I'm going to be getting a new computer in a few months & will do it then, ok?) The current problem is...when the 250 is hooked up as slave to C drive, I get no sound. There are no errors & sounds "appear" to play...but no sound. If I unhook the 250 gig hard drive & boot, sound is fine. So I know I still have the correct driver, sounds are not muted, connections are good, speakers are on, etc. Then if I re-hook the 250 gig drive & boot, again NO SOUND...???? I'm only hooking/unhooking ONE CABLE, the 40 pin. Leaving the 250 gig drive in place & the power connection still on (in order to reduce the problem to a single factor). I can do this test repeatedly & it works the same each time. Since the 40 gig hard drive did not interfere with the sound card when hooked as a slave to C drive, there's something with the 250 gig hard drive that's interfereing with the sound...(but again, no errors generated...sounds appear to play...just no sound.)

I've Googled on this problem but have not found anyone with the same or similar problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance!

Edited by Roxiedoo, 10 July 2005 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lots of info here, but missing one important piece...soundcard.

Is it a soundcard that sits in a PCI slot?

Since pci slots share irqs, and the harddrive is connected to a pci card (and its an old one), I suspect irq conflict. Move the soundcard to another slot (or the pci card to another slot)--see if that improves the situation.

Roxiedoo

Roxiedoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sound card is on the motherboard and the 250 gig hd is connected to the MB (as slave to boot drive), (Because the old pci card would only see the first 137 gigs... ) I *DO* have the old 40 gig hd hooked up as a master on the pci card but the single factor seems to be whether the 250 gig is connected or not...

Since the sound is fine when the 40 gig is hooked as slave to boot drive (therefore connected to MB rather than PCI card), can having 250 gigs (as opposed to the 40 - on the same connection) impact irqs?

Example 1 (this has worked fine for ~3 years) (three hard drives hooked up):
master (MB) 30 gig hd (boot drive)
slave (MB) 40 gig hd
master (PCI card) 20 gig hd
sound is fine

Example 2 (three hard drives hooked up):
master (MB) 30 gig hd (boot drive)
slave (MB) 250 gig hd
master (PCI card) 40 gig hd
NO SOUND

Example 3 (two hard drives hooked up):
same as example 2 but unhook 250 gig hd (leaving 40 gig hd as master on PCI card) and sound is fine!

Edited by Roxiedoo, 10 July 2005 - 01:28 PM.