Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router- Email Problems

• Please log in to reply

Atiek175

Atiek175

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a problem with my email and I'm hoping someone can help. We have 2 computers hooked up via a wireless router (cable modem). When my son's computer is online emails will not download to our computer. His computer is not set up to check email (no accounts are set up at all for Outlook) but messages are not on the server and aren't downloading to our computer so I'm guessing they must be somewhere on his computer!?!? I'm hoping someone has some info they can share to help us figure this out...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe I am misunderstanding....

I don't see how his computer, without email, can be preventing you from getting email.

We're talking a pop account of some sort? May be you just don't have email?

Maybe your ISP is blocking email it detects as spam?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
It sounds like somehow his machine is checking the email. If 2 machines check the same email account, and you do not have it set to leave a copy on the server, then the messages will be downloaded and removed from the server.

You indicated he does not have Outlook set-up to check email, what about any other email programs? I don't see the router being the cause. Is there any other problems when both machines are online? Do both connections work ok?

If the only problem you are having is the email, I'd look for either another email program that's checking the mail or check for spyware problems.

Can his machine send yours an email, or do you not even receive those?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sounds to me like your email isnt configured correctly. If your using a pop account check your username, password (might try logging on to your isp's webmail service if it is working there, then its a configuration problem on your outlook account)... (If its not working there then it is an email provisioning issue with your isp... call them to have them fix it)

If its working on the web based mail service (Nearly all ISP's have one) then delete your pop account in outlook and re-add it with the exact username, password, pop server, smtp server (your ISP is required to give you this information if your request it). Has to be exact... one little wrong letter, number, or symbol and your email wont wwork.