Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

dasickis

dasickis

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My specs:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Graphix: CHAINTECH Geforce FX5500
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (1 Stick)
Case: RAIDMAX ATX-208
Power Supply: THERMALTAKE Silent PurePower 420W
Fan: MASSCOOL 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan (6 fans) + 1 fan pre-installaed in the Case

Now for some reason my graphics card does not display a picture I tried everything I took out the motherboard but when I did the processor fan stopped working when plugged in the CPU_FAN area but works when plugged into the SYSTEM_FAN area

I was wondering if my graphics card is not compatible or if I can figure out if it's broken or whatever. Then what happened to my CPU Fan.

When I turn on my computer all my fans work but nothing else. (well that's how it appears)

Edited by dasickis, 10 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i also had the same problem. if you have anything plugged into usb extention ports unplug those and put the cpu fan into the correct slot. and just see if that fan will work. my gfx card is a bit older agp, and doesn't work either.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hi dasickis

What happens when you boot? Nothing - just a black screen? Are you getting any bios beep codes?

Does the FX5500 require a 4 pin connector to be plugged into it directly?

Have you made sure (silly suggestion I know) that the monitor connector is plugged into the video card port on the back of the case and that the card is properly seated in the AGP slot? Make sure the AGP retention mechanism on the side of the slot has locked into place.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

i also had the same problem. if you have anything plugged into usb extention ports unplug those and put the cpu fan into the correct slot. and just see if that fan will work. my gfx card is a bit older agp, and doesn't work either.

View Post

Well the CPU Fan used to work with/without this mouse in my USB port but then it just randomly stopped working, I am thinking that maybe the ATX 12V connector might be damaged.

And the graphix card is just not working.

Hi dasickis

What happens when you boot?  Nothing - just a black screen?  Are you getting any bios beep codes?

Does the FX5500 require a 4 pin connector to be plugged into it directly?

Have you made sure (silly suggestion I know) that the monitor connector is plugged into the video card port on the back of the case and that the card is properly seated in the AGP slot?  Make sure the AGP retention mechanism on the side of the slot has locked into place.

View Post

From what I read in the manual the FX5500 does not require a 4 pin connector.
I don't get any beeps at all even when I purposely took out a RAM stick to test the PC Speaker, they're some cheap speakers that came with the case.

I checked out all the connections but the card simply does not output any video.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The speaker that emits the beep codes is 'internal'.

Have you checked to make sure you have the case speaker connected to the motherboard (usually down in the bottom right corner of the mobo next to the Power LED, reset etc jacks)? If not, that would explain the lack of beeps.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have checked the connections and even reversed them. I have basically tried everything

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sorry to hear about your Chaintech. I was about to get that same card until someone on this site advised me not to - PNY and eVGA are better the person said for the 5500. This is what I found on a review for the card you have (the first review is the one that pertains to the problem), and it seems similar as in it could be applied to your situation.

http://www.pricegrab...d_type=masterid

Thus, I think that the card is simply defective - are you using VGA or DVI for your monitor? So this leads me to belive that changes to your system configuration may not be of any help.

Well, anyone else got some ideas before the card is deemed bad? Or, just hope that I am wrong.

Vaya con Dios, y tiene un buen dia en este julio temprano.

EDIT - Just some typos

Edited by lionelhutz5, 10 July 2005 - 09:01 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Sorry - Wrong Place

Edited by Jack123, 16 August 2005 - 09:09 AM.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well I got a new Mobo and Graphix card

I got an

MSI K8N Neo4-F ATX AMD Motherboard
PNY Geforce MX4000 Verto GeForce2 MX4000(LSMX4000PPB) Video Card

and there is this little troubleshooting thing they gave and it keeps saying that there's a memory detection problem, but I used some memory that was working in this current PC and the 1 GB Ram I bought but nothing works

I connected 2 hds, graphix card, 1 stick ram (in the second slot it's purple if that helps), 6 fans, the USB/troubleshooting add-on, mouse, and keyboard (but I tried without anything except RAM, Fans, and graphix card)

edit: everything runs, like all the fans are spinning and the hds spin but my internal speaker is broken the leads broke when it came so I can't figure out if it POSTS or not

Edited by dasickis, 16 August 2005 - 07:52 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
OK, get yourself a case speaker, that way you will be able to hear any beeps, BUT my mobo came with the usb/startup light combo d plate it fits in one of the slot spaces at the back and the lights can be used for diagnoses the same way as beep codes. Also your ram should be in the GREEN slot read the motherboard manual.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
even when i put it in the green slot it still doesn't work

Edited by dasickis, 16 August 2005 - 12:59 PM.