Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a HP Pavilion and I am traying to upgrade the motherboard,can I find a motherdoard that fit? Because someone told me that HP makes custome made motherboards for they PC and a micro ATX board wont fit.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Many manufactures use specialized Power supply connectors to interface with their motherboards. I am unsure about HP, but I know Dell does this.

If you go out and buy a motherboard, it may physically fit in the case, but you may not be able to connect up to your existing power supply.

Your best bet is to call HP and ask if the motherboard you are planning to upgrade with can be used in your case.

makai

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Well, certainly a micro board would not work - I don't think HP's use microprocessors. So I think taht if you want a new mobo, you wither need to call HP for the one it came with, or build your own cpu - in which "case" you can buy your own case. :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Odd someone should bring this up. I've got an HP 510n that someone discarded and I've repaired it, but just decided that I need another case for it. I saw a nice one at CompUSA that would do just fine. I don't like the Compaq or HP cases because you can't make changes.

You realize that if you put a non-HP motherboard in it, case or not, it is no longer an HP computer and they won't support it, not that they provide much support besides their website anyway. And your HP installation disks will almost certainly not work with the new board, you may have to outright buy an XP installation disk.

Edited by Tyger, 10 July 2005 - 10:21 PM.