Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS is not ACPI Compliant Error Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

pushpak

pushpak

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I have IBM Thinkpad T40 with 2X512MB Chips. One of that is a Kingston chip. I tried to replace this with 1.0GB Chip from Kingmax and it did not work. I called iBM and they said they don't support anything other than IBM memory. I decided to put back my previously existing 512MB Chip(Kingston) and it didn't allow to boot the system. I called back IBM and they say that they don't support that either. Later, I tried to insert this 512BM chip in another Thinkpad(T41) of mine and it gave a blue screen of error.(This BIOS is not ACPI compliant in this system etc...)
I upgraded the BIOS from IBM's support site and it went very well. Even after that, it does not recognize my previously existing Memory. I don't know what else to do. Appreciate if some one can shed some idea.

Thanks

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Well, there can be a few problems. One is that the Kingmax RAM is not compatible with your system. (I would go with Kingston anyway - it is very good quality)

Two is that it might be shared RAM. In this case, you cannot have say a 1GIG chip paired with a 512MB. You need the same chips if it is SDRAM. Also, make sure that they are in the correct position. For pair one, the first stick of RAM goes in the first slot of the first set of holders. And then the next stick for pair one would go in the first slot of the second set of holders. In other words, they do not go next to each other. They go every other slot to make pairs.

So I would check to see if it is shared RAM or not. Because if it is, then the configuration may and most likely will not work if you have had a 512 and 1GIG paired. 2X 512, or 1X1GIG or 4X256 (although with a notebook, I don't think you can have 4 - I may be wrong!) would work, however.

pushpak

pushpak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for your quick response. I tried making it work with another 512 chip. The problem was the previous 512 chip was faulty.

And the 1.0GB chip doesn't work in any of the other thinkpads. Looks like there could be a compatibility issue or this chip is also faulty too