Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot boot (two different computers!)

• Please log in to reply

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here we go,

The one with the 2 and 10 gig is the one that makes the whir noise and then dies. My old computer is the one that will turn on but keeps rebooting. I also have 2 more down stairs in various stages of decomposing. So I guess gluing them all together and making super computer is out huh? I do have an old computer that should still work as well, if that helps. I have this computer as well, obvously it works and I would really rather not have to sacrifice it to the gizmo gods.

I really appreciate all your help.

Lu

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok,

Why don't we do this....

Pull the 15gig drive out of the first computer.

Take either the 2gig or the 10gig (your choice), set it's jumper to Master, and install it into the first computer.

See if you can install winxp onto the first computer. I'm hoping the first computer's original problem was software instead of hardware, so if it can at least power up stable, you will be able to install xp.

makai

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, I had a sudden brainstorm and opened up the new computer again. Sure enough, the wire from the power button had come loose and wasn't connected to anything. It is bundled with a bunch of other wires. I found a place on the motherboard, an array of paired male prongs that fit the one from the power button. I thought, just to change things up, I'd ask a question BEFORE I messed things up further, sort of a change of pace. The other wires are the same type of prong and have labels like HDD and Reset. Should I plug these in also? There is also a lead with four holes in it that is unlabeled in this same cluster. Any ideas what that one might be?

I tried the suggestion of trying to get the original computer to work. There are two problems. First, the 10GB drive instantly displays that screen saying Windows couldn't boot and asking me to pick an option (three flavours of safe start, plus last good config and start normally). That is the screen with the 30-second countdown. I can't find a way around it. The other problem is that the Win XP CD I have is an upgrade CD, you have to have some flavor of Windows on there already, so I won't be able to install it on a clean disk.

Remember the thing that started all this was that the 15GB drive went into a reboot cycle where it would boot normally until it reached the XP splash screen, would mull it over for a few seconds and then reboot from the top. Interrupting the boot and trying different options didn't help, but it still seems there should be SOME way to recover from that error, doesn't it?

Anyway, again thanks for all the help and please let me know about those wires, I don't want to make things even worse! (if that is still possible..)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The 10gig will not boot into windows because it is from the second pc. The configuration files on the 10gig all pertain to the motherboard/hardware of the second machine.

The plan was to install an new XP onto the 10gig thereby allowing it to boot to windows. This new XP installation would then boot because all the motherboard/hardware configurations will then be correct.

BUT, now that you have told me you only have an Upgrade CD, that changes things quite a bit!

So...

Yes, if you pulled out the front panel power connections on the second machine, you might have a problem powering up that computer. The Wire labeled Power is for the power button on the front of the computer. The HDD wire is just so the HDD led lamp indicator(non-essential right now)... the Reset wire is for the reset button on the front of the computer.

If you can read what is printed on the motherboard and correlate that to the wires, then you can connect those wires to the right place. I cannot help you with this as I do not know the motherboard manufacture or model number, thus I cannot see which connector goes where. I don't know what the unlabled connector is, but leave it out for now... it might be a usb front panel access or something.

Go ahead and plug in those connectors, but make sure you plug them in the right place.

If you have already pulled the 10gig and placed it in the first computer, remove it an place it back in the second computer (once you get those connectors reconnected).

Yes, there is a way to attempt fixing the first computer, but saving your data should be first on the list. It's up to you though which computer you wish to attack first.

edited: Sorry Luanna, I just reread you original post and you did note you used and Upgrade XP CD. My fault for not paying more attention.

makai

Edited by makai, 11 July 2005 - 01:53 PM.

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The array that I can plug into does have writing, but it is very small and a little confusing. It looks like there are nine sets of prongs (possibly only eight, it is hard to count). They are arranged in a 1x9 array (ie, just straight down, two prongs in each row). Across the top (the short way), it says PANEL. Along the side, it says MSG LED PWR SW RESET, there may have been one other set of letters also, but PWR SW and RESET seem to be the important ones. The problem is that the letters are not right next to a particular set of prongs, but run sidesways down the array. So 'RESET' for example is actually written next to the last two-three sets.

Should I experiment to find the right slots or can I make things worse doing that? Thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is there any number on the motherboard anywhere you can see? How about a manufacture name on the case?

makai

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Is there any number on the motherboard anywhere you can see?  How about a manufacture name on the case?

makai

View Post

The only number I can see is just (I think) the chip, not the motherboard. It is ASUS AS97127F. There is some very tiny print on the motherboard itself, but I can't make it out, maybe a stylized A for the first letter.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
That's a start but not enough information.

The motherboard is made by ASUS. A highly respected company for PC builders, by the way.

Asus normally marked their P3 boards somewhere near the PCI slots (they are the white colored slots where modems, soundcards get plugged in.) They also mark the boards in white ink or with a small white sticker.

See if you can find a number around the PCI slots. Look in between the slots too.

Sorry, I know this is difficult going!

makai

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

That's a start but not enough information. 

The motherboard is made by ASUS.  A highly respected company for PC builders, by the way.

Asus normally marked their P3 boards somewhere near the PCI slots (they are the white colored slots where modems, soundcards get plugged in.)  They also mark the boards in white ink or with a small white sticker. 

See if you can find a number around the PCI slots.  Look in between the slots too. 

Sorry, I know this is difficult going!

makai

View Post

I found something that says ASUS P28 F. Is that it?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, that's probably it. So far google search pegs this as a Pentium 2 board, not a P3. Is it actually a P2 ?

I'll see if I can find motherboard info and post back

makai

Advertisements

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yes, that's probably it.  So far google search pegs this as a Pentium 2 board, not a P3.  Is it actually a P2 ?

I'll see if I can find motherboard info and post back

makai

View Post

Hmmmm. My friend thinks it is a P3 and the info screen back when it was running said it was a P3, but I'm not really sure.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
OK,

I've searched for awhile and I have to ask you to look at the board again. Could the model number be P2B f... instead of P28 f?

The P2B f is a P3 motherboard. I still have to search for a manual, but if you could clarify the above it would make it easier.

Thanks,
makai

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

OK,

I've searched for awhile and I have to ask you to look at the board again.  Could the model number be P2B f... instead of P28 f?

The P2B f is a P3 motherboard.  I still have to search for a manual, but if you could clarify the above it would make it easier.

Thanks,
makai

View Post

It might be a B. The print is block form, so it is hard to be sure.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok,

I found the manual for the P2B f. Go here for the pdf file>>>

http://usa.asus.com/...b-man-slot1.htm

Scroll down the page till you see P2B f and choose the english manual.

Click on the link and a new window will open. Save the pdf file to your desktop. After it finishes saving, go to page 32 and you will see the power connector. Connect the wires to the correct pins.

makai

luanna

luanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Ok,

I found the manual for the P2B f.  Go here for the pdf file>>>

http://usa.asus.com/...b-man-slot1.htm

Scroll down the page till you see P2B f and choose the english manual.

Click on the link and a new window will open.  Save the pdf file to your desktop.  After it finishes saving, go to page 32 and you will see the power connector.  Connect the wires to the correct pins.

makai

View Post

I found the diagram and tried it, but there is still nothing. No power. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it, but it may be time to admit defeat. :tazz: