Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1>copies XP on HDD>2

• Please log in to reply

darqblue42

darqblue42

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi all,

I stopped an installation of XP on a partition that already contains XP before it finished.

Now, when I analyze my local disk with Disk Defregmenter, I see two bars of green (unmovable files) instead of one.

I want to remove the second green part (the incomplete XP files), but I don't want to reformat. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
at first I was thinking this was two master file tables, but that cannot be,,,,so it must be something else

setup windows to view hidden and system files, then take a look in the c: local disk...any oddly named folders there?

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nothing unusual...

I don't see any "doubles" of files or anything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wasn't looking for doubles

typically, the unmovable file is the master file table, but this is created during formatting, but since you only installed, not formatted again...that cannot be it.

It could be that your current mft is split in two--this can occur if it grows very large....I am not sure what it is without seeing it myself.....

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, it's not that big of a problem; it's just annoying to see what looks like two XPs on one partition whenever I defrag (C:).

Thanks anyway!