Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad XP Pro crash. Cannot repair windows

• Please log in to reply

markgoolmeer

markgoolmeer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys, Perhaps you can help.

A few days ago I was conducting a virus update for Trend Micro Internet Security 2005. About half way through the update the screen locked up completely, requiring a reboot. Since then I have not been unable to get XP Pro going again.
The XP CD will not boot after re-assigning the bios.

I have attempted the alternate DOS loading as a repair. Booted to floppy, ran SMARTDRV. ran WINNT and got the install files loaded. All seemed to be proceeding OK.
However after rebooting to continue the installation it reaches a point and will go no further.
That point is after the XP load screen does it's green icons left to right flashing and the screen goes black, the mouse cursor appears and is functional- and that's it.

Booting is safe mode results in it hanging at the same point.

I have retried the above several times.

This is in a dual boot installation. I have successfully booted WIN 98 and looked at all the XP files and directories- which seem OK. (no probs with HDD or MOBO?)

I would like to "repair" the installation if at all possible. But it is starting to look like a clean install may be the only solution.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Mark

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Reboot your PC and keep pressing F8 until you get the boot screen, select the last know good configuration and boot this way.

If the above doesn't sort it out, you will need to use the XP CD to repair your installation. You can download bootable disks which you can put on floppy disks and use them to boot using the CD.
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994

markgoolmeer

markgoolmeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Samiko,

Tried the F8 "last Known etc" That didn't work.
Been down the bootable disks path as well.- It will allow the loading of the repair installation. But after re-booting it still hangs at the same point.

Mark.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if the system hangs on safe mode then its way beyond repair.
I would slave it to another machine, get your files transferred and saved before formatting, and install a fresh copy of windows.

Windows can be repaired but that would be complicated to find what is hanging the system, usually done by an system expert or the manufacturer.

markgoolmeer

markgoolmeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply Samiko,

Yes that is the same conclusion I am coming to.
I have copied all the existing directories and files to a new HD and will look at a clean install. Although I am not looking forward to it.
I think I will create a ghost after it is all setup to minimise such problems in the future.
If you have any other ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

Thanks
Mark.