Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computers on one network

• Please log in to reply

romedi

romedi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hallo!

I'm wondering if this is possible.

We have three computers in the house, og we are all connected to the internet by a switch.
But we want to sort of making a private network, so we can exchange files and so on. A way so we can "visit" each others computers.

But can we do that? And more important - how?

Thanks in forward

- Romedi

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you will have to create a shared folder, just make a new folder somwhere on your machine and right click on that folder then Sharing, share this folder with a name you specify then make sure everyone has permissions to read from it (in your security tab).
you can access it vy navigating yout network places or open Run from your start menu and type the following

\\host_computer_name\shared_folder_name

by replacing host_computer_name with the name of the pc you are trying to connect to and...
shared_folder_name with the name of the share you have specified earlier.

romedi

romedi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you :tazz:

It worked.

One question:

If somebody knew the name of my pc (and my shared folders), wouldn't they have access to my pc, no matter where in the world they are?

Edited by romedi, 11 July 2005 - 05:06 AM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well it doesn't work like this, it depends how you are running your network. If you have a router then no, they won't be able to. But if you are connected directly to the internet then yes if they know your IP address.