Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dos Boot Cd?

• Please log in to reply

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok so i posted a few days ago with my problem with unmountable boot volumes and the fact i cannot repair or re-install windows because of system crashes.

Ive been told i need to use F-disk.

My laptop doesnt have a floppy drive so i cant use any of the Dos boot files from bootdisk.com as they only extract onto a floppy.

And my home PC doesnt have a floppy drive either so i cant take them from there onto a cd.

any ideas?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
whatever you can burn into a floppy disk can be put into a CD as well that's if you have a drive to write CD's.

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can burn discs but when i download the file and run it its an .exe and tells me 'insert floppy to write'

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
search for image file not an exe file.
this exe file will have the image write utility to write straight into disk.
look for .iso or .bin and burn it into a CD.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
found this link for you, it has .iso images
http://www.allbootdi...er&filecatid=88

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your windows disk will actually perform the partition and formatting...simply start windows with the xp disk and follow the instructions to install a new OS, a couple steps in you will be allowed to remove the partition, create a new one and format.

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks guys. Ive downloaded the dos 3.3 image file and burned it to cd and set the laptop to boot to CD but all i get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner and then it goes to the safemode, safemode with command prompt etc screen and there seems to be some hard drive activity. I can get as far as the XP loading screen before the unmountable boot disk blue screen message comes up

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
it sounds like a hard disk (physical) problem.
did you try running diagnostics on your drive? like scandisk from safe mode?

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah thats what i think it is.

I cant get into safe mode to do any diagnostics. Its gotta be a physical problem because theres limited or no hard drive activity on start up. Ive requested a return/repair/refund from the place i got it from and im waiting on their word. Ive only had it a month and it's still under waranty.