Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Media Player Runtime Error

• Please log in to reply

pepnyc

pepnyc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Just started having an annoying problem with Windows. I cannot play any AVI or MPEG files in Media player or similar video player.

"Micorosoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! Program:c:\WINDOWS\wmplayer.EXE This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information"

I've played around with the codecs (uninstalled and reinstalled), divx, xvid, mpeg4, mpeg2 but I just can't figure this out. I've reinstalled SP2. I've updated my video drivers. I've looked on line as well. Seems alot of people are having this problem but no one has a solution. I even got a registry cleaner and it still did not help. The Divx player does play some AVI files (Divx codec) and WinDVD does play some MPEG files (Mpeg2 codec) but what the heck man! My Media player used to play all of them with no issues. As a last resort I'm going to have to reinstall the OS (which I really do not want to do) unless someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by pepnyc, 11 July 2005 - 08:44 AM.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you could have a deeper issue with your OS.
try repairing your OS instead of re-installing.

pepnyc

pepnyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried the repair. No good. After the final reboot, I got the Blue Screen of Death. Several times.

Luckily I was able to go back to a restore point using Winternals ERD commander. Then it booted up fine. Otherwise I would have been screwed.

Any other suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Remove any third party codecs.

reinstall wmp over itself (no way to remove it most of the time)

Then install third party codecs again

pepnyc

pepnyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I should uninstall Divx, Xvid, etc... What about the ohter apps like WinDVD? Don't they have their own type of codecs or decoders? Should I uninstall them too?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'd leave windvd...you want to remove codecs that try to read avi and mpeg files, but the rest, especially divx and xvid, yes

pepnyc

pepnyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

pepnyc

pepnyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No good. Removed all third party codecs. Re installed sp2, Media player and just for grins, uninstalled and reinstalled the Java desktop plug-in.

None of which made a difference. Still get the runtime error when trying to play files in Media Player. The funny thing is that the Divx player works for my divx avi files and WINDVD works for my Mpeg files. Well, most of em anyway. I don't get it...???????????????????????????????

Looks like I'll be reinstalling. Yay...fun. :tazz:

Edited by pepnyc, 13 July 2005 - 11:17 AM.