Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I determine who is doing a search on LAN?

• Please log in to reply

buck614

buck614

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a server with several thousand documents and files. Every once in a while someone will search the whole computer and it slows down that box terribly.

I know how to see if a file/folder is being acccessed on a particular computer, but I haven't been able to figure out how to determine if someone is performing a search on a particular computer.

Is there a standard port used just for the built-in Microsoft Search utility?

Can i see this 'Microsoft Search' activity using network monitor?

Thanks!

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can determine system access via auditing. it would record an event instance at each access.
this can be viewed via the event viewer of the server

buck614

buck614

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was hoping to avoid performing auditing because of the number of files involved.

Also ... unfortunately ... our Exchange server is on the same box so whenever someone is searching the whole data drive everyones Outlook freezes. It is an awful setup to have that much data on the same computer as our Exchange Server but that is that way it will be for a little while.

What I was hoping to do is have some type of Network Monitor or something that I could view when the box gets very slow to see who is performing a search. Either by username or computername.

Do you think the Auditing will slow the computer down? I was afraid that auditing that much data could be a problem.

Thanks!

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Dude, I'd also look into not housing everything on the same box. First, thats a security issue. Second, regardless, it'll slow down cause of the sheer workload.

Auditing won't effect performance that much, and it'd be worth it if you catch someone doing something. Inform the higher-ups, and go from there.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
it would slow the pc down I am not sure what's available on the market that doesn't involve the server doing that extra work while monitoring.