Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New problem encountered recently

• Please log in to reply

edelkin

edelkin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Recently (within the last month) i am having a recurring annoying problem. When i am in any program, where i can see the taskbar, every few minutes, a new blank program icon appears for a brief moment and then disappears. it has no text in it and is only there for a second or less. This happens when i am running task manager, but i have yet to see it when i am running nothing.

The main problem this has been causing is when i am playing a game of almost anything, my game gets halted and i get dumped out to windows with my game minimized. I ran all my spyware stuff last night to try and emiminate it, but to no avail.

Has anyone else been experiencing this or heard of it in the past?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Never heard of this, but maybe you can try this if it happens on a regular basis.

Launch a program then Launch Task Manager. Watch task manager and see if you can catch something in the list changing.

This actually sounds like some kind of spyware.

makai

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I agree with makai, go to the malware forum and run through the instructions. If that doesn't help you solve the problem then ask any of the members there, they are more than willing to help.

edelkin

edelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have finally ran all of the diagnostics recommended. I did find some things with ewido, but the problem was actually occurring while ewido was running too. I have attached my Hijack this scan to see if you can find anything unusual. Thank you in advance.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:38:31 PM, on 7/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Hijackthis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMONTRAY] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Active Monitor (imonNT) - Intel Corp. - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

edelkin

edelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
On top of these issues, a mysterious folder called Logs keeps appearing on my desktop. I have deleted it several times. it contains a single notepad file with system information in it in a strange format.

Any suggestions above what i have already tried would be greatly appreciated. it is getting quite disruptive to all my activities for me to get dumped to desktop and have my program suspended until i click on it in the taskbar.

Thanks in advance.

kcpilotguy

kcpilotguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am having the same problems you are describing with the stupid program popping up on the task bar for a few seconds and then dissapperaring. It is quite annoying and I am pretty sure it is gathering information becuase it seems to pop up when I enter information on to secure sites, such as ebay or paypal, etc. I have also gotten that strange log file on my desktop. I have run my anti-virus and also both ad-aware and spybot search and destroy and it is still happening. If you have any fixes or ideas as to what this is I would appreciate it.

edelkin

edelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did manage to get rid of the problem. Finally after many long stints trying to watch the program manager, i caught it. It turned out to be a piece of software that got installed with my new printer. Some HP manager. I used ewido to get rid of it from startup and have not had the problem since. I dont recall the name of the program, it has been a while now.

The log file that i have on my desktop is from World of Warcraft (i believe). If i delete it, it only shows back up after i play WoW.

Hope this helps.

kcpilotguy

kcpilotguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yes that does help. I have HP's software on both of the computers I am having that probelm with. Thanks alot. As for the log file on the desk top, I dont think i've ever played world of war craft but someone else using my computer may have so thats a relief also. Thanks alot.