Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screens and Game crashes

• Please log in to reply

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
ok, i built a computer for a friend of mine, it has a 939 pin AMD 64 3500+ in it, 1gb corsair ram, a 6800 GT AGP with win xp pro. well, sometimes it will randomely blue screen, then restart right away, or while playing 3d games the game will just close randomely or it will blue screen, and i am stumped, he is saying he is gonna go buy a new video card, even though his current one still has like 10 monthes on the warenty. let me know if there is any more infor you need.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
When you get the BSOD, does it list any specific drivers? What exatcly is the error message displayed at the top of the screen?

--Chris

talha_81

talha_81

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Anything can cause blue screen ... bad memory, harddisk etc. You need to check out whats the error it displays on the blue screen and what does it imply.

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i'd love to tell ya what the error's are, but it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to see it, it restarts too quick, like within 3 seconds it is restarting, but he has told he he has seen "page fault" and a few others, let me get thr list from him again. i'll get back to you guys with the rest.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
OK, to disable the automatic retsart (so you can actually read the BSOD) go to

My Computer | Control Panel | System | Advanced tab |

Click on "Settings" under "Start up Recovery" and then uncheck "Automatiaclly Restart" box.

Now the next time the BSOD comes up, it will stay there untill you manually restart the computer (ie. press the power button).

--Chris

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
thats the thing, automatic restart is off. i always turn that off. on my computer and computers i build for people

talha_81

talha_81

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Why dont you try turning Physical memory dump to on so you can get that extra time to see.

I got similar problem about a month ago ... my pc restarted or gave blue screens randomly. It bloated about some "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" among others. All it turned out to be was faulty RAM so I warrantied it. I read somewhere that it could also have been a harddisk problem but not in my case.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Talha_81 is right, I used to get that same message and as it turned out, It was a faulty RAM module. You might want to see about returning it to the manufacturer and recieving a replacement.

--Chris

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
the thing is the ram is fine, i tested it in my computer, and it worked fine, i even tried my ram in his pc and it worked too.and already tired a new hard drive already. thats one reason why i am stumped

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Have you tried using a different video card in the system, as well as the new video card in another system to see if that solves the problem? Those typoes of stop errors can be caused by bad drivers, or faulty, newly-installed hardware (ie. your video card).

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 13 July 2005 - 12:19 AM.

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
thats the conclusion we are probly decideing on, he tried new drivers, didn't help, but he is comeing by again this weekend, and probly gonna try to RMA his video card. but we are gonna try his in my computer, since i got a 6800 ultra, and he has a GT, but i can't try mine in his, he only has a 350watt PSU. and my card draws lots of power

Edited by goladith, 13 July 2005 - 11:09 AM.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
good plan, let me know how that turns out, I would like to know since I run into a lot of questions regarding the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA stop error.

You might also suggest to your friend that he purchase a bigger power supply, especially if he's planning on upgrading his computer to gaming status.

--Chris

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
yea, well, he wants to stick with the PSU cause it is a UV reactive. and he already owes me money for the computer still, so he probly won't be getting a new PSU soon. he has about a noterh $200 to pay me. lol, but i'll make sure i bring it up to him. although it was used in a gameing system b4 i baught the stuff, it worked fine b4 in the other system, it has a AMG 64 3200+ 939 instead of the 3500+ 939, but that isn't gonna make much differnce and it had a 6800gt in it too. and the guy would overclock just fine useing that PSU. allwell, i'll let my friend know though