Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocked

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hey everybody, I just OC'd my PC today from 2.667ghz to 3.3ghz. I was at 3.5 and I could have gone even higher, but it was way too fast for my ram and I could only reboot normally about 1 out of 3 trys. I slowed her down to 3.3 and I feel like things are workin good. I have pc2700 ram. My FSB is currently 165.6mhz. Bus speed 662.2mhz, I have a multiplier of 20. I'm runnin the Emachine and the Bios doesn't let me make changes to anything like this in there. I am using CPUCool for all this and it won't let me change the multiplier. My Ram is rated at 166mhz, but it's ddr sdram so it's kinda like runnin 333mhz. I'm new to overclocking, and I understand how it works and how important cooling is, but I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if this looks alright, or knows of anyother software that will work better. I have taken off the side of my cover right now and I have an 8 inch fan blowing in there to cool, besides the 2 fans already in there. Without that fan I am at 42 degrees c, but with the fan it runs at 31 degrees, very nice. So don't worry nothing's melting....yet. I'm really stoked on the performance increase after applying some new tweaks and overclocking. I'm wondering just how fast I can actually go before I have to either stop or buy faster ram.......how far is safe?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, decided not to keep overclockin the poor ol celeron with software anymore. I'm gonna start buildin this emachine until there's nothin left but the case, then I'll chunk that too. How's this for an inexpensive mobo?

http://www.newegg.co...-130-450&depa=0

I can't figure if it will support my celeron though...for now.

-=jonnyrotten=-

I found a different one that I know does support celeron and it has onboard graphics.
http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=241127
Free 2nd day ups shipping to Hawaii too. Only 88 bucks! <_< :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Seems like with some PC3200 or PC3500 you could probably squeeze some more out if it, but not enough to justify the cost (just buy another CPU).

I've never been a big fan of MSI, I'd take an ABIT or ASUS mobo any day.

The 865 chipset is a great overclocker, but don't expect to much from Intel's "Extreme" integrated graphics. It's equal to a very low end video card, and shares system memory.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, I've been researching a little and also went to a computer store in Honolulu. Talked with a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about, or at least I hope so because he builds them there. I was checking out this board.

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=240309

I have to get a small one because my case is real small. I would like to get a new case and all that, but I'm just going for a small upgrade and I'm going to start to slowly build my Real machine while I run this one. I am concerned whether the mounting holes are going to match up though. This is what I got now.

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=240913

Any thoughts on this or where I could find out if the holes are going to match up.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, more questions. I have found out that most likely the mounting holes are going to match up. I have ordered the Asus p4p800 vm should be here in a day or two. I have more questions now. I want to modify my Emachine T2598 case so I can add another fan. I would like to add it into the side of the case or even the top to release hot air. I also would like to redo the front of the case, but the Cd-rom and dvd-rom bevels aren't going to match anything else besides the front that's on the case now. I know I can remove them, but the question is "Do most or all bevels have a universal fit?" Also does anyone know of any sites that might have modified case covers for emachines?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nice mobo! <_< You wouldn't have been able to overclock the Intel (they don't allow FSB adjustments). I'm pretty sure the holes will line up, but with emachines, you just never know.

Adding a case fan to the side of your case blowing out can be effective, but usually you have to add fans in pairs. One blowing in, and one blowing out. If you just add a fan blowing out, you can create negative pressure in the case, and draw heat from the power supply into the case.

What are you trying to do with the CDROM bezels? Most CD drives do use bezels that can be removed, and replaced. For the most part they're pretty standard.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well, I have a fan blowing out the back right now and I have one on the Heat sink. I was thinking of adding the other one to suck some air in since there is already one blowing air out. Or flipping the out one around and so it sucks in and the new one in the side will blow out. I'm over the fan on top Idea since ther is no room between my PS and Dvd rom for a fan. I just wanted to try and redo the front of my case and was thinking i'd need to get new bezels to make it match, but that's just an idea. This pc didn't even come with a floppy, so I was thinking of adding one, but I'd need a new faceplate for the case.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I think a new faceplate is going to be very difficult to find. You could maybe get creative with a Dremel and some spray paint <_<

If your case will accept a fan in the front of the case, I'd add one blowing in there. If not, a fan near the bottom and front of your case on the side panel would be best to create good airflow.

You might also want to look at a new case. Without power supply you can probably pick up a pretty decent one for about $30, and move your components into it.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ya I was thinking about one on the front bottom. There are plugins for headphones and a microphone on the front near the bottom. I don't need em. I can remove those and it would make a nice spot for a fan. Also I can probably get a usb floppy if I need one that bad huh.

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't have a floppy in either of my desktops. There have been a couple times when I've removed the side cover and plugged in a floppy drive temporarily. Usually a USB thumbdrive is all that's needed.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yaaa! I got my P4P800-VM installed, no problem everything fits like it was meant to or something (beautiful). I got another case fan installed in the side of my case to suck cool air in (cutting the hole was great fun, but it's done now and looks surprisingly nice).
I overclocked it the first nite and torture tested @ 100% cpu usage for 9hrs. Woke up this morning, everything's still holdin strong at 3.0 ghz ram timings 2-3-3-6. I ran some trial and error configs today and I have it at 3.3 ghz ram timings 2-3-3-8. Running stable so far. We'll see if she makes it through nite with Prime95, I believe it can do that. So I'm very stoked about this and I guess I only need faster ram now huh? This is all running @ 165.34 FSB. Very nice. 40 degrees c :D :D :P Did I mention how good a new motherboard smells?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Gotta love that new computer smell. <_<

Run Prime, and then loop 3DMark overnight. If it doesn't crash or lockup, then you should be golden. :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Help!! My computer is down... This is what happened, I downloaded the newest bios for my p4p800-vm from the Asus website. I followed the instructions to the t off the website and made sure they matched with the instructions in my user's manual. The flash was successful. The pc rebooted by itself after flashing the new bios and took a long time to load. I then rebooted 2 more times and it kept taking too long to boot, so I decided to replace the updated bios with the original per the instructions on resetting bios back to it's original state. Flash successful! Reboot, and then nothing...black screen. I powered down after waiting for awhile and rebooted, and now nothing. No bios, no post testing, nothing. My monitor tells me that it is working fine, but I need to check my pc. Asus tech support says they'll call me back, but they don't. I am wondering if maybe I need a new flash rom chip now.... :D I unplugged the power and cleared by moving the jumper for 10 seconds. I then put the jumper back to it's original spot and removed the battery for 5 minutes. Still no go...

AAhhhhhhhhh!! I am on my computer at school right now and when I get home no more net, I am going to go crazy!

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's always a good idea when flashing BIOS to do it twice. ASUS mobo's have a great BIOS restore feature. Simpy place the ASUS CD that came with your mobo in the CD drive, and reboot your computer. IF BIOS falis to load, it will reload the default BIOS off the CD. <_<

If that doesn't work, try removing the battery for a few hours, and then try it again. Sometimes it takes overnight.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, I will try taking it out overnite, because I have tried booting with the cd and nothing. Will removing the rom chip and putting it back do anything?
I can't believe I did this......
-=jonnyrotten=-