Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of Loopback interface on 60 W2K machines

• Please log in to reply

KennyIII

KennyIII

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

I had an issue where I was rebooting 10 W2K workstations on a lan with about 80 workstations and, either on the way down or on the way back up, something came from one of the 10 workstations that affected all the others.

This system uses X-Windows for display and points to the Loopback (127.0.0.1:0.0) device. All the other systems lost the ability to see the Loopback device. I could telnet into them, but when on the W2K machines, I could not ping 127.0.0.1. I had to Reboot all the remaining W2K machines to recover.

Has any heard of any such problem before?

My guess is that one of the machines broadcasted some kind of route update and replaced the Loopback somehow.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kenny III

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, sounds odd. Never seen it.

start > run
netsh interface ip delete arpcache
fix it?

(don't think it will)

KennyIII

KennyIII

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmmm... haven't used netsh before.. Will investigate...

Thanks