Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't start windows

• Please log in to reply

howie27

howie27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wrote yesterday and you guys were kind enough to write back. My problem is that when I tried to get on my pc yesterday all I got was a message saying that windows couldn't be started because the following file was missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/system. It also went on to say that I can attempt to repair the file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom(which I don't have). You guys suggested I try to borrow an xp home edition disc and follow a few steps to try to recover my files without wiping out everything that I have on my computer. Unfortunately I was unable to locate an xp disc, but I contacted HP and they are sending me a recovery disc to get windows back up again. Can I use this disc instead of the xp disc you suggested with the same results you say I may get. I'm just trying desperately to get my pc going as it was before without it going back to its factory settings. Thank you guys so much for trying to help me!!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Normally, manufacture recovery comes with a warning that user files may be destroyed during recovery.

It would be advantageous that you back up your data before using the manufacture's recovery disk.

By the way, if your computer was manufactured by HP and it has a factory load, I doubt very much a stand-alone XP cd would allow you to fix your problem. It might even make it worse by wiping all your data before you have a chance to save it!!!

You do have other options. If you want to save your data, you can pull your hard drive from your non-working PC, and install it as a slave on another computer. Then transfer all your documents over to that computer until you get your non-working computer working again.

Take note that before you move your hard drive to another computer, you MUST set the drive jumper to the SLAVE position.

makai

PS... you should have used your original post instead of starting a new one.

Edited by makai, 11 July 2005 - 11:45 AM.