Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with ATA 100 and ATA 133 HDD

• Please log in to reply

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everybody

I'm having a problem with a new hard drive that I bought. The current HHD in the computer is a Western Digital ATA100 40 GB drive and the new one is a Maxtor ATA133 200 GB drive.

The drive is connected to the computer and the master and slave settings are correctly detected on startup: Primary -> WD 4OGb and Secondary -> Maxtor 200Gb.

When i go into the CMOS setup both the drives are there but Windows is for some reason not detecting the new drive.

Does it have something to do with the fact that the master is ATA100 and the slave is ATA133?

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Are the two HD's on the same data cable? If not, connect them both to the same cable and plug that cable into your IDE 1 on your motherboard.

Emery

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The reason you can't see it in windows is probably because the drive is not formatted and windows won't assign it a drive letter.

Do this...

Right click on My Computer, select Manage

Expand the Storage list item if it's not already expanded and choose Disk Management

Does the drive show up there?

If it does, right click on it and choose format. It will take some time to do this since it's a 200gig drive... so go grab some lunch!

Note, you can also get to disk management through Control panel>Administrative tools>Computer management.

And, no, the fact that it's 133 doesn't matter.

makai

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks for the response.

Yes, Both the drives are on the primary cable, but even when i go to the disk management it does not show up in the list. Even when i go to the device manager it is not there....

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry, i forgot to mention, the drive is not partitioned or formatted yet...

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Format your new drive and hook it back up. You will get it working after that.

Emery

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How can i format the drive when i can't see it with the disk management utility? :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Look in your manual that came with the drive. It probably says in there. Maybe you could try slaving the drive to another pc and format it from there.

Emery

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did the drive come with an isntallation cd?

If it did, use the installation disk to format/partition it. Be careful to select the correct drive and not format your 40gb!

makai

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I didnt get a manual with the drive, but thanks anyway. I will try to figure it out. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
No manual. Did you get a CD with it though? If you did, try makai's help.

Emery

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks makai,

but it was just a drive and no cd's or manuals... This is the first time that i'v had a problem like this, and it is very strange to me, because i'v been building and upgrading pc's for a very long time now and i'v never had this problem. Maby something wrong with the drive... but if that was the case would the BIOS still pick it up on startup?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Not if there's something wrong with the drive. Otherwise it should be seen by your BIOS.

Emery

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You must have bought an OEM disk.

On the Maxtor site, you can download Maxblast>>>
http://www.maxtor.co.....are Downloads

You can download either an iso image that you can burn to a cd, or a Windows version that I assume you can run from Windows. I have never used the windows version.

I never have problems with Maxtor and it's the only drives I use. So normally I run all Maxtor utilities off the Maxtor Cd.

I have several copies of the Cd and I could send you one if you want. Just PM me with your address.

makai

Charlesjo

Charlesjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks makai and Emery

I will go and check it out and let you know if something happened...

:tazz: