Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll error upon starup

• Please log in to reply

Rik111

Rik111

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
when i startup my computer does 1 of 2 things- either i put my password in and log into windows and (in the middle of the chime startup noise) it reboots, or i log on and it gives me this message- error loading C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll (this comes in 2 error messages the first of which says it cannot locate NvCpl.dll. something else that seems to be related is my computer reboots at random times. like i can play dark age of camelot for 10 hours and it's fine but i go into word and type a few lines and it restarts...i can't figure out why. the heatsync on my video card is burning hot, but why wouldn't it reboot beforehand then? when it's actually being used heavily? thanks in advance for any help!
Rik

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Can you startup into Safe Mode?

Emery

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
sure i could. i just don't know what to do. it all works otherwise i believe.
Rik

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Nvcpl.dll is the nvidia control panel. It might be corrupted. Try disabling it from starting up and see if that fixes your problem.

If it does, just reinstall your nvidia drivers.

makai

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi makia. i'm afraid i don't know what you mean when you say "try disabling it from starting up." i can see the problem now- my drivers are faulty in some way...but i don't have a CD to reinstall and i can't find them online. and the windows driver install process doesn't help anything. can you post a link please?
thanks much!
Rik

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry for not replying earlier. I had just changed from using a Nvidia card to an ATI on my home machine and I wanted to make sure I got the location of the registry entry correct. I am on my work machine now and it runs with an Nvidia card.

Nvcpl.dll startup is located in the registry "run" folder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This is one of the Keys used during start up of your machine. This folder contains several start entries, but may not contain all of them used during start up.

In order to stop NvCpl.dll from loading, you have to delete the corresponding start entry in this run folder. BUT, I'm not going to recommend you do this just yet!

Instead... why don't you just update your Nvidia driver and it will probably fix your probem and you won't even have to worry about the NvCpl.dll error.

Do this...
Open Device manager and check the version of your video driver. Post it here.

Also, post the model of you graphic card.

Also, open Display Properties/settings/advanced and peruse the Nvidia tab for the Driver Version Information and post the version number here.

The driver can be downloaded off the internet, but you have to use the correct one or problems can arise. Thats why current driver information is good to have.

makai

Edited by makai, 12 July 2005 - 11:11 AM.

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok one of my techie friends came over and fixed it...i have no clue what she did but =D the only thing left now is the constant rebooting...it doesn't seem to have a set cause (though it must...?) sometimes right before it shuts down it locks up and a blue screen with white text flashes and then it reboots =( i dunno what it is... any suggestions? i've heard power supply and pci slot something something =/ like i said i'm not a computer guy i just want it to work... i left it up for 10 hours lastnight and no problems...
Rik
PS- sorry it took so long to respond i was on vacation ^v^

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
oh yeah before i forget...spybot keeps finding TS_Cash everytime i run it. i've deleted it numerous times. what is it and/or how do i get rid of it. and do i WANT to get rid of it =/
:tazz: Rik