Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win ME-Thumbnail Problem in My Pictures

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Made a mistake and tried installing my copy of Win XP Pro. Messed up a lot of my Win ME stuff. Uninstalled it and now paying the price in trying to recover stuff. Most has been corrected, except I no longer can get the Thumbnail function for the Folder Options to work. It gives me the nice little border, but only the icons show. Have tried reinstalling the Desktop.ini and Folder.htt files to no avail. I have a Thumbnails.db file in the folder and it seems that it will make the Thumbnails, just not display them when this function is selected.

Anyone have any ideas which file or system app I need to to reassociate this function with so the Thumbnail function works? Tried re-installing my Win ME, but having problems reading the install files after it has gotten to around 10% install. My PC is an old one, don't have the money for anything new. Not even a CD drive as cheap as they are so I need to try to fix this without buying anything.

I have gone through Mico$oft's database and performed all I could find to get this to work. Nothing has worked so far. If I knew which file it was, I probably could extract it from a CAB file.

Any help, suggestions are most welcome.

Ron

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you gotten all the updates from Microsoft? I seem to recall a Vector Graphics update that is needed for thumbnails. You may have to enable something in Accessories too.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Have you gotten all the updates from Microsoft? I seem to recall a Vector Graphics update that is needed for thumbnails. You may have to enable something in Accessories too.

View Post

Everything has been updated and back to normal except that my viewer for thumbnails isn't working. Doesn't work any time I view any images no matter what format they are in. It will display images of HTML and EML documents. All others are whatever icon is associated with file type.

I need to know what program Explorer needs to be associated with so, when I select "Make Thumbnails", it will make and display the thumnails. Possibly I have a corrupted DLL file. Google search has turned up nothing of use. Same with M$' database.

Was hoping someone would know or have an idea of why installing/un-installing Win XP screwed up this function.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you just have corrupted files run System File Checker. That's the easiest and quickest way to correct it. Go Start>Run, Type in sfc and hit OK. In a very short time it will find and repair any corrupt files and give you an ongoing report. In the meantime I'll try to find the app or dll for thumbnails.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Don't have System File Checker in Win ME apparently. Good idea though. Too bad it didn't work. I'm just guessing it is something that Win XP did because all was working prior to me trying to install it. Had a lot of notices from XP that a few of my apps would no longer work. Trouble is, when uninstalling XP, it didn't repair all the damage it did.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well, one thing you can do is go to My Pictures folder, click on the folder window, not an individual file, choose properties and make sure that thumbnail view is enabled.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have tried that many times. Have gone through Folder Options. Have tried every trick I can remember to get this function to work. I just no longer can get Explorer to make or show thumbnails, yet I can set a folder to act as a web folder and view eml and htm/html files when I mouseover them.