Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Upgrade - RAM or Video Card

• Please log in to reply

cookrd1

cookrd1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought an AMD Semperon 1800+ (Compaq SR1520NX). It has 512M RAM with 128M shared for video. Which upgrade is best bang for buck - increase RAM to 1024M or add a video card? I do not play games. However, I do have a lot of apps (Dreamweaver, browser, Excel, Word) open at once while listening to broadcast radio streams. I get a little frustrated sometimes when switching apps - a lot of HD chatter before the new screen finally appears (sometimes). This is what I would like to remedy. If you recommend adding a video card, what do you recommend and how much memory should it have?
Thanks, Bob

Advertisements

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Looks like the Compaq SR1520NX actually has a Sempron 3100+ which runs at 1800mhz and is a very good processor., I don't think there is an AMD Sempron 1800+. Anyway, sorry about that I wanted to clear that up. Your best bet for added performance per dollar with what you do, is probably going for the extra RAM, especially since your not a real graphics intensive user. It will load your larger programs fast and switch through tasks more quickly, while a more powerful graphics card wont really have any effects on tasks of that type. Plus the price difference for a worth while graphics card and 512mb of ram can be fairly significant, $50-$100 dollars. Hope this has helped.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Your video card should be just fine, what it sounds like to me is that yyou have a lot of rescource hungry apps open all at once and your computer is having a hard time dealing with it. You Sempron 1800+ might be the prblem, not the RAM. If you already have 512 then that should be enough. You might want to consider upgrading your CPU to a faster one. (of course you will have to make sure that your current MB can handle a faster CPU, and if it cant, you will have to upgrade that as well). I dont mean to make it sound like you have spend a bunch of money, but my honest opinion is that it's your CPU thats slowing you down, not the RAM or vido card.

--Chris