Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had been having problems with my media player...so I uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled it along with a windows update. Now, when I turn on my computer the only thing I see is the wallpaper. I can only access program files through the task manager. I don't see a start menu, or desktop icons and I cant access my documents.

When I go to task manager and click file - new task - browse...it brings up the box so I can find a program...but I notice that the icon to 'my computer' isn't there...it shows up as that white default icon when something is missing. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway...ANY help would be appreciated. I'm at my wits end.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
from new task type: explorer.exe

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried that and it says "windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'. Make sure you type it correctly." or something to that effect....

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Boot into safe mode.
Start > Run > cmd (if that doesn't work, get there through the Task Mgr)
sfc /scannow -note the space-
XP cd will be asked for.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.
Johanna

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Czar, I tried what you asked and I got this

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is Unavailable].