Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

3 different media players installed ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hope some one can help.
At the moment , i have 3 different media players installed and dont know which one is my default. In fact i dont know which one i want as my default, as they all have pros and cons.

Right then, here we go,,,,,,,
1 windows media player 10, used for ripping and burning (easy to use )
2 winamp pro, cos it can play m4a files.
3 creative media player, cos installed itself with audigy zx 2 soundcard.
I have 16 gig of music in my music folder, and different tracks open with different players. I would stick with windows m-player 10, but it dont play m4a files, and a lot of p2p downloads are m4a now. Winamp-pro is ok with playing m4a files , but is crap at ripping and burning , compared to windows media player 10. which leaves me with the creative player, which seems to want to be the default player, but doesnt rip music, or playm4a files. how do i get just one player, and only one player to be the default.??? is it possible to configure the computer to use one player for ripping and burning only, ( windows) ,and one player for playback and managing music librarys ??? ANY ADVICE WOUL BE APPRECIATED.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Wow. 3 media players and 16 gigs of music. That's incredible.

Creative Media Player seems to be good for nothing, really, so if it doesn't hurt anything, I'd uninstall it completely.

As for the other two, it sounds as if you prefer Media Player 10 for everything but m4a files. So, you can set up Media Player as the default for everything else:
  • Open Windows Media Player
  • Click Tools | Options
  • Select the File Types tab
  • Click Select All
  • Click OK
Media Player 10 most likely won't include a check-box for m4a, so Winamp will remain the default for that one. The key is that the next time you open Winamp it may ask you to let it be default. Don't let it.

If I missed any assumptions here, let me know. Oh, if you don't WANT to uninstall Creative, you can just ignore it. That media player thing will end Creative's associations.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
many thanks. will more than likely keep the windows media player.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Did'nt u post the exact same query, two days back in a another thread created by U.
Pls. dont that.
I did reply to ur previous thread. To check it out