Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem seeing others in workgroup

• Please log in to reply

Failsafe

Failsafe

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello!

You folks were extremely helpful when I had difficulty getting rid of some spyware, so here's another one:

The machine in question is running WinXP Pro. This is a small office with ten computers or so all connected to a central router/hub. We are all on the same workgroup.

Last week I disconnected this computer and took it home to test an Internet connection. When I brought it back and plugged the network cable back in, the Internet was (and still is) fine, but I could not see any other users on the network (and they could not see this computer). I made no changes at home other than plugging a cable modem into it to see if the connection worked (it did), then I unplugged it and brought it back to work.

I tried changing the workgroup name, leaving it for a while, then changing it back, but no luck so far. When I try to 'view workgroup' computers, it comes up with a dialogue box that says:

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

I can provide any additional info if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Failsafe, 12 July 2005 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
use net view command to troubleshoot. if it is system error 5, it is permission issue; if it is 53, this is name resolution issue. this step by step troubleshooting may help,

troubleshooting is not accessible error
"....is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource".
"Access is denied" "Network path was not found." ...
http://www.howtonetw...ccessibale0.htm

Edited by chicagotech, 11 July 2005 - 10:26 PM.

Failsafe

Failsafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the links and such. Still working on it. I've determined that other computers can successfully ping this computer's IP but not the name. I tried checking 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP' as one page recommended, but still nothing. I'm going to try installing NetBEUI this afternoon.

Any other thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated.

Failsafe

Failsafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hmmm, the NetBIOS setting and NetBEUI things did not work. :tazz:

Using the net view command I got a system error 6118 message. I searched Chicago Tech found these resolutions:

1) This behavior can occur if you enable the ICF that will closes the ports for file sharing by default. To open these ports, right-click the network connection that is firewall protected>  Properties>Advanced>Settings>Service Tab>Add, Enter 127.0.0.1) for the required Internet Protocol (IP) number. Enter UDP ports from 135 through 139, and TCP ports from 135 through 139 one by one (the external and internal port numbers should be identical).
2) This may occur if the workgroup name and the domain name are the different.
3) No master browser. Starting Computer Browser Service on one of w2k/xp computers should fix the problem

Numbers 1 and 3 are a bit confusing to me. Could someone walk me through them? Also, do I need to let the computer sit for any length of time between making these changes (so the network recognizes it)?

Thanks.

Edited by Failsafe, 13 July 2005 - 11:19 AM.

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
so, do you have Internet connection firewall or windows firewall enabled? or use browstat.exe to check the master browser status.

Failsafe

Failsafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

Yes, firewall is enabled though I did try turning it off but the result was the same. I couldn't find the browstat.exe file. Where is it located?

Some other tidbits of info that may help identify the problem.

This computer can successful ping any other computer's IP on this network, but it will not locate the NAME of the computer. I get a "...could not find host [COMPUTER NAME]..." message in DOS.

This computer does show up on the network to other computers by its name, but when it is clicked on the permission error pops up.

Thanks!

Edited by Failsafe, 18 July 2005 - 02:07 PM.

da_guru

da_guru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
well buddy, i really can't fix a finger on what kind of network problem your system is having... now lets get a few things straight....

1. if you are using a desk top or tower machine, try removing the network card and reinstalling it in a different slot... i would recommend you change it though

2. check your RJ45 network cable and make sure no cable has pulled out... better still change it

3. reconfigure your LAN connection on the pc... that is make sure you give the computer a group, a name and an IP address.

get back to me on [email protected] with feedback on developments

good luck

j@y

rbeck1172

rbeck1172

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Run an ipconfig /all

If the node type is Peer-to-Peer, you must change it to hybrid, to do so, open the registry and navigate to hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\nbt\parameters\dhcpnodetype
set it to 8

I also added a NodeType dword and set it to 8 as well, it worked, I was having the same issue.....

p38arover

p38arover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Chaps!

After much mucking about before finding this website, I've got my networking fixed.

By using the info in the posts listed above I was able find the problem.

In my case, it was my Norton Personal Firewall that was causing the problem. I allowed NetBIOS in the firewall settings (for the range of PCs on my home network) and that fixed the problems.

Regards

Ron

Failsafe

Failsafe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Run an ipconfig /all

If the node type is Peer-to-Peer, you must change it to hybrid, to do so, open the registry and navigate to hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\nbt\parameters\dhcpnodetype
set it to 8

I also added a NodeType dword and set it to 8 as well, it worked, I was having the same issue.....

View Post

You sir, are my new best friend! :tazz:

Thanks to everyone who helped with this problem.

Advertisements

iceman1110

iceman1110

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This thread got me interested as it sort of relates to my problem. When I ran ipconfig, the node type reads "unknown". I try to go to that registry key but I have no "nbt". Any help would be appreciated. The reason I am doing this is because neither of my two computers see each other on the network.

Cough

Cough

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, from the posts above, I thought I had the solution to get my two computers talking to each other wirelessly. One (my Laptop) showed Hybrid node type when I ran ipconfig /all. The other (destktop) showed Unknown node type. So I went into Regedit and put in a new key on my Desktop (the Laptop had it) for DHCPNodeType = 8. Now IPconfig on the Desktop shows Hybrid.

But, alas, Net View on the Desktop still gives me a 6118 error (Net view on the Laptop works fine and sees the Laptop but not the Desktop)

Both my systems run XP Home, SP2 - but the Desktop is older and therefore probably has more crap/corruption in the registry than the laptop

ps DHCPNodeType is in NetBT/parameters, not NBT/parameters...............

Any other ideas from anyone would nbe much appreciated.

Edited by Cough, 09 August 2005 - 10:58 PM.

awaheed

awaheed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok after a couple of days of hair-pulling I finally managed a search phrase in google that brought me to this site and this particular thread relatively quickly (Error 6118 was not sufficient). Anyhow, the tip about dhcpnodetype proved to be invaluable with a couple of observations:

1. The dhcpnodetype key is in NetBT hive not NBT - as pointed out by the previous post (though this could be a result of XP SP2 installation ... am just guessing here).

2. A search of my registry revealed that the DHCP node also exists in the path under the CurrentControlSet001 and CurrentControlSet002 hives. I had to make sure the value was 8 for dhcpnodetype in all three locations.

3. I also had to add the NodeType DWORD key.

4. Simply changing the values and adding the NodeType key wasn't sufficient. I had to reboot my machine as well and viola it worked!

For those of you who may want to keep a copy of browstat.exe for future reference, the XP version can be downloaded from

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

it has a bunch of other support tools released as a part of xp sp2.

Happy network places browsing y'all! :tazz:

Edited by awaheed, 12 August 2005 - 11:38 PM.

p38arover

p38arover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

After much mucking about before finding this website, I've got my networking fixed.

By using the info in the posts listed above I was able find the problem.

In my case, it was my Norton Personal Firewall that was causing the problem.  I allowed NetBIOS in the firewall settings (for the range of PCs on my home network) and that fixed the problems.

View Post

Well, it works - sometimes. Often the same problem of appearing to not have access rights appears. So if I go into Norton Personal Firewall and fiddle with settings it will allow access until next time. It's frustrating that the two computers can't reconnect when the laptop is plugged intot he home network.

Ron

rbeck1172

rbeck1172

• Pip
  • 2 posts
one thing for troubleshooting, you have to remove all those extra factors before you dig into the meat of the situation, disable all necessary services, most notably, firewall programs, anti-virus, anti-spyware programs -- or bogus toolbar application (which I find very common with typical user level situations -- I am a network admin and unfortunately have to deal with small peer-peer networks through the company)....if the situtation still presents itself, then take it from there...
troubleshooting 101...

and I guess it was a typo -- nbt == netbt...

sorry about that