Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just got this PM from "Sammy"

• Please log in to reply

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
From Sammy

Please Help!

Having recently purchased a networking crossover cable, i have connected my PC to my Notebook. I can transfer files accross both computers via a LAN connection and also play games over the network but fail to use the PC's internet capabilities.

The PC has a DSL connection to the internet and i wish to use the internet on my Notebook through this connection. I have conifigured all IP address' and Subnet masks, default gateways, DNS servers etc but cannot share the PC's internet connection.

Under the 'advanced DSL properties' menu is a 'tick box' stating 'Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet
connection', having ticked the box and selected the LAN connection i receive,

'cannot enable shared access
Error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service'

I have tweaked firewalls and everything on both computer systems, searched error messages over the net... the lot. The problem persists.

Please help

Thanks

Sam.

I hope someone can help them.

Will give them a link in ther PM to this thread :tazz:

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Just relized it should be in the "networking" section

Need a mod to move it ,,PLEASE :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Sounds like you may need to make sure the "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is installed on your machines. I'm not sure if it is needed on both, or just one, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. To make sure it's installed:
Open "Control Panel", open "Add/Remove Programs", Click the "Windows Components", in there, look for the box labeled, "Networking Services", in there you will find the "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client", make sure it is checked and installed.

Hope this helps!

Greazy Mcgeezy

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
To configure Internet options for Internet Connection Sharing
Open Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click Never dial a connection, and then click LAN Settings.
In Automatic configuration, clear the Automatically detect settings and Use automatic configuration script check boxes.
In Proxy Server, clear the Use a proxy server check box.
Notes

To open Internet Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Internet Explorer.
If an Internet connection has not been previously established, the New Connection Wizard starts.

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This may sound like a stupid question at this point but, does your PC with the DSL connection have two network adapters in it? What I am getting at is making sure that the computer that is to do the sharing has a way to talk to the notebook and the DSL line at the same time. Perhaps it connects to the DSL via USB?

Also, if using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), make sure you are letting ICS assign the IP address information to the notebook. Don't assign a static IP to the notebook, let it acquire it via DHCP from the desktop PC. Then go through and make sure DHCP is happening and that the two computers can still "talk" to each other.