Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help!

• Please log in to reply

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
This is my first build ever. I really don't want to mess anything up either. Here is a list of the components I plan to buy. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, questions, etc. do tell.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1213C 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

acer AL1715B Black 17" 12ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 450:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch - Retail

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive - Retail

Shuttle SN25P Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron nVIDIA nForce4 2x 184Pin Barebone - Retail

I need to know if everything is compatible with eachother. Also, do I need any case fans, cables, CPU grease, etc? Does the barebone kit come with a mobo? Am I missing anything? Thanks!!!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What are you doing for gfx, if you dont waht to buy one just now get the shuttle with the ati 200 board in it just as good as the nf4 probably better. The best value for money in HDs is the 200GB after that the prices go up by a larger amount, you will be glad of the xtra space. 1GB of ram really is essential nowadays though get the same stuff just another 512mb of it.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The retail 3200 will come with a HSF which has preapplied grease on it. You can remove the grease (which may void your warranty so check) with Isopropyl alcohol or, preferably, the two phase arctic clean solutions and apply arctic silver for slightly better temps.

You should have all the cables you need if you are buying retail components.

Not sure how many mounting points those cases have for fans. I'd also check the amps on the 12v line of the PSU. 350w seems a little low for what you're intending to put in the system.

You will see a reasonable performance boost from an extra 512mb of RAM, so as Warriorscott said, probably worthwhile investing in a dual channel 1gig kit.