Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media player 10 Internal application error

• Please log in to reply

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well for quite some time now my windows media player hasent worked but now i need it for 2 watch movies on the internet like instructions and video game previews and such but when i try to open media player i get the message that says

Attached Files

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Do the obvious and uninstall and reinstall it! it is the easyest thing to do. there is often a folder in "C:/program files/Windows meadia Player" called installer there should be a file in this folder which you can reinstall it if not download it.

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
when i try to delete it it says it's being used i cant find it in add remove programs

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The reason that you cannot see it in the add\remove program is you have not ticked the little box up the top called show updates. Windows regards it as an update from windows media player 9. Hope this helps.

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
nope still not there afteri checked the box

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Download it an install it over the top. this might work.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If this dose not work try this. Go to the conrtol Panel/Administrative toll/servise and check it Windows Audio servise is runing if not set it to automatic and start it. Do not change any of the other services, turning them off could make you compuer unbootable. Also in windows media player go to tools/options /file types and make sure they are all ticked. as an after thought read this document about the seting of window media player it is part of a tweak guide that can be got fromwww.tweekguides.com

Attached Files

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 July 2005 - 01:02 AM.

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
it was already tunred on and i stll get the internal application error when trying to start up media player

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Did you try reinstalling windows media player I think it is the one you have installed is crupt. and did you read the Word document I put in, I did not write it it is an exrtact from the tweak guid that I put a link in to. The tweak guide is worth reading and following I found it very good and made a big diferance on my computer.

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Well for quite some time now my windows media player hasent worked but now i need it for 2 watch movies on the internet like instructions and video game previews and such but when i try to open media player i get the message that says-
"An internal application error has occurred".

View Post

Sounds like one or more of your Jscript registry key settings could be incorrect. Or maybe the Jscript.dll file could be missing or damaged.

First Read This - Article ID : 831430 Microsoft Knowledge Base - your problem is listed there under SYMPTOMS.
You may want to print these instructions out before attempting them-
To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order that they are presented -
Method 1: Reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
6. Click OK.
If either of the files do not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged. To extract the missing file in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps:
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the Restore from box, type the path of the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.
Note* The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
6. In the Save file in box, type the path where you want to extract the new file, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Open a dialog box that previously experienced the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
If the issue recurs, go to the next method -
Method 2: Edit the registry
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
The (Default) value data should contain the following value:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL
If it does not, double-click Default, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL in the Value data box, and then click OK.
4. The ThreadingModel value data should contain the following value:
Both
If it does not, double-click ThreadingModel, and then type Both in the Value data box.
5. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 7.
7. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c262-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 9.
9. Exit Registry Editor.

Edited by willow28, 13 July 2005 - 02:28 AM.

Advertisements

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
it succeded both Jscript.dll & the regsvr32 vbscript.dll

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I did the this complete part 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
The (Default) value data should contain the following value:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL
If it does not, double-click Default, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL in the Value data box, and then click OK.
4. The ThreadingModel value data should contain the following value:
Both
If it does not, double-click ThreadingModel, and then type Both in the Value data box.
5. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 7.
7. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c262-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 9.
9. Exit Registry Editor.

and i have yet to accomplish anything but i can not do this part

2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the Restore from box, type the path of the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.
Note* The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
6. In the Save file in box, type the path where you want to extract the new file, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Open a dialog box that previously experienced the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.

just because i do not have the windows xp cd i lost it a while ago

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
or is there a way that i could use quicktime for wmv files instead of media player?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes in the seting of each (I had both at one time) you can chos ewhich files each playes, you could turn off windows media for all types and then turn Quicktime for all types that you are haveing problems with. hope this helps.

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
could u tell me what settings i have to change so that quicktime works instead of windows media player