Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

regarding netscape cookie monster

• Please log in to reply

n3r0

n3r0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

i dont know what kind of website you are running here but in another thread which i aparently cannot reply to because im not 133t enough, i watched some guy try and fix this other guys issue.

http://www.geekstogo...t38318-s15.html

He was saying that geeks 2 go was attacking him with a "netscape cookie monster" attack. This exact same thing is happening to customers of my website. NIS is messed up. I have been researching this problem and came across your thread. Just wanted to llet you know it has nothign to do with spyware or anything but it seems like when your or my website sets a cookie, it tries to set it to a higher level domain than the website should be able to set it to. Anyways thats what a " http cookie monster attack " is listed as . I am currently researching a solution to this problem, but norton will not help me. I keep getting directed to some call center in india and they cant understand at all what I am talking about. they say i have to buy NIS to get support (lol).

so yeah just to let you know if you get those sorts of complaints, its the useless program Norton Internet Security scaring end users and making you and me seeming to be exploiting a security vulnerability from 1997 or so. Again, just to let you know.

n3r0

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Moving this to applications :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hello

i dont know what kind of website you are running here but in another thread which i aparently cannot reply to because im not 133t enough, i watched some guy try and fix this other guys issue.

Just to reply to this part of your post...we are running a security forums here. We have permissions in the Malware Removal forum set so that only Staff members can respond to posts there. We had to do this due to the fact that many untrained people were trying to give Malware-related advice that was incorrect, incomplete...and quite often HARMFUL to our users' computers. We did not do this to try and "exclude" anyone, and I'm sorry you felt that we did.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Hello

He was saying that geeks 2 go was attacking him with a "netscape cookie monster" attack. This exact same thing is happening to customers of my website. NIS is messed up. I have been researching this problem and came across your thread. Just wanted to llet you know it has nothign to do with spyware or anything but it seems like when your or my website sets a cookie, it tries to set it to a higher level domain than the website should be able to set it to. Anyways thats what a " http cookie monster attack " is listed as . I am currently researching a solution to this problem, but norton will not help me. I keep getting directed to some call center in india and they cant understand at all what I am talking about. they say i have to buy NIS to get support (lol).

so yeah just to let you know if you get those sorts of complaints, its the useless program Norton Internet Security scaring end users and making you and me seeming to be exploiting a security vulnerability from 1997 or so. Again, just to let you know.

n3r0

I pulled this information from the post you referred to.

The attacker is 69.65.20.162. -- identified as Geeks to Go. I got the log as well for the "intrusion attempt" that was supposedly blocked> Here it is:

Details: Intrusion detected and blocked. All communication with www.geekstogo.com(69.65.20.162) will be blocked for 30 minutes.

I do know that the IP address supplied above is Geekstogo.com.

It appears that NIS doesn't like having cookies in any other location other then the exact page that they are hooked to. for example, most cookies are imbedded in the HTML code. However if you place the cookies in say /root of the website, Then NIS sees that as a Cookie Monster attack. Therefore it will block access.

This is a classic case of Norton doing what its supposed to, however for legit sites like ours it screws things up and prevents people from getting the necessary help they are seeking.