Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning an XP system

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I purchased a used system and it works just fine. It has a 160G Seagate drive which I find annoying. It came with XP Pro and I would like to pare that down to 8 20G partitions. Does XP make this impossible? Will I need to erase the OS to do this? A friend suggested right clicking on the C drive in disk management but that only brings up these choices; open, explore, change drive letter and paths, or properties. Before I wipe out everything and go back to 98SE, I'd like to try using XP. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go here

http://www.seagate.c...disc/utils.html

where you can find an upgrade that allows earlier XP versions to see the full disk, and tools to partition the disk. Large drives are quite cheap now, I've gotten 80gb drives on sale for $40.00 without the bothersome rebate. And you might be able to find a smaller, say 10 or 20gb drive to use as Master and set the 160 up as slave, and even arrange to turn it off when not in use..

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
without loosing data use partition magic a program that you can use to do what you want. and if you want to change later you can and all data is kept

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Be careful with Partition magic. You must read all documentation before running this program. Although it can do what you want, it is also capable of wiping your MBR if you don't know what you're doing. Just a warning.

I HIGHLY recommend you back up your files before using Partition Magic.

On the lighter side of things... XP is much more stable than Win98. And it can be made to look and feel like you're running Win98... only prettier. I had the hardest time switching over myself, but after I did, I'm so glad. Sooooo much more stable!!!

If you note my signature, I still run Win98 in dual boot with XP. I still have Quake games that I run under Win98 that won't run quite correctly under XP... and thats the only reason I keep it.

makai